djlen
Green Thumb

Great Success With Chinese Elms and Other Trees!

A couple of years ago Norm and I split a packet of Ulmus parv. seeds and I'm not sure how he did, but out of probably 100 seeds I got 6, yes 6 to germinate for me....lol. Out of that only 4 lived.
This is the result (with another nice tree in another container):

Last year I took some cuttings and tried rooting them from the above mother plants and got more seedlings this last Spring than you can imagine.

I have four flats like this:

I'm also propagating Trident Maples, Bald Cypress; Dawn Redwood and Firethorns.
I'm finding that all you need is some rooting hormone and a container that will act as a greenhouse and I'm getting at least 70 - 90% success with all the above and others. Some are 100%. It's very easy when you give them the right conditions.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Gee going into the propagating buisiness? ;)

I never got much in the way of takers at my local farmers market. Here's hoping you get takers (customers) for all your surplus.

djlen
Green Thumb

tomc wrote:Gee going into the propagating buisiness? ;)

I never got much in the way of takers at my local farmers market. Here's hoping you get takers (customers) for all your surplus.

Nah Tom.....I just use them in Forest Plantings. I will probably not bother with propagating more. Unless someone from the local club needs/wants some seedlings.
Can't believe I wasted so much time and effort, trying to get the seeds to germinate when this is so much easier. :)

floraAdore

After some pruning, I tried growing 2 cuttings of serissa foetida. Let me 1st mention I'm a novice enthusiast!! I put them in a small jar w/ a few inches of water for a week (picked off leaves toward bottom of cutting) then roottone & into a mix I made (organic soil from ME a mix of peat, old bark, perlite, compost & seaweed w/ a inorganic "bonsai soil" I got from a local nursery) watered when dry & misted occasionally; both died. I'm either doing everything wrong (quite likely!) or most things wrong.
How long are the cutting you plant, average? Mine were 3 & 4.5"
What do you use for soil? ( each species has its own specific needs but. . . .)
How long after planting do you see any new growth? My 2nd cutting probably died a week before I realized, I didn't want to disturb it & just kept waiting for new growth.
Any info appreciated!

djlen
Green Thumb

First of all I use Miracle grow potting soil......not the moisture retentive type....just the plain old potting soil. It is as sterile as you will find in my opinion, holds moisture well and drains fairly well too. I use 5oz. plastic cups which are really inexpensive and I drill 3 small holes in each for drainage. Then I put the soil in, tamp it down well and make one or two holes in each cup for the stems of the plants.

I take cuttings from semi-green stems. In other words stems that are green and have not hardened off yet.
I cut a stem off at about 5 or 6" that has enough leaves/nodes on it that I can take the bottom 3 leaves off. I actually pull them off against the grain to injure them to some extent. This is where the roots will come from so don't snip them, pull them off.
BTW, the cut to remove them from the plant must be as clean as possible so use sharp scissors. Don't pinch......cut. After I remove the 3 leaves I dip the stem in rooting hormone powder deep enough for it to cling to all three nodes and then gently tap the stem on the inside of the bottle to knock off exess powder.
Then I gently place each stem(do one stem at a time) into the prepared hole in the soil and press the soil in around it firmly but gently. Now I'm ready for the next stem.

The secret to success is moist but not wet soil and then moist but not air around them while they root. I use old aquariums with glass tops to hold the humidity level, and place them in in-direct light so they don't get too hot, checking every few days to see if they need a misting or not. They will root in less than 3 weeks if all is well and I wait to see some new growth. When I do I gently pick them up by the cup and look for roots through the walls of the cup.
Patience is critical. They need to be left alone. Don't move the stems.
A good guide for me is if the top leaves are clinging to the stem. If they defoliate it usually is not a good sign but they can fool you so wait at least 3 weeks to a month.
If you don't have an aquarium you can put them in a tray and put plastic wrap over them to retain moisture. The leaves/needles need to be kept humid while the roots develop.
One other thing. I use those Shish Kabob sticks (sp.?) they sell in the food stores to make the holes in the soil. I find a million uses for those things.:) I also clean the roots of soil with them when repotting the trees. They can also be used to prop up the plastic wrap over the pans you place your cuttings in.
I hope this helps. I know it sounds involved but once you develop a system it becomes like second nature. I really enjoy doing it. Seeing little Elm or Maple trees 5" high getting a start is one of the most fun parts of the hobby for me.

floraAdore

Thank you for taking the time to give me detailed info!!
It is VERY dry in my apt!!! I need a humidifier!! My trees are in the bathroom though & sometimes I close the door & run the shower to increase humiditity & I mist them when I do my Tillandasia's. I hung 2 shelves each w/ a grow light (shelves are flat white, as are walls).
Using an aquarium was very clever of you! I just threw one out a few months ago! I find many "bonsai" tools expensive. Indeed, I could easily spend a quick fortune! I have those skewers you mentioned; I like to do kabobs on the grill :>
I've been hunting for a friend/neighbor/kind stranger to get a few crab apple cuttings. I will look for new growth w/ the details you mentioned. Good idea to use the clear cups too; so one is able to see the progress!!!

djlen
Green Thumb

Doesn't matter what the humidity level of the apt. is if you put them in a relatively air tight environment in moist soil and when you see the beaded water on the sides (glass or plastic) starting to decrease you know you need to mist. Then re-seal their container. I've propagated many seedlings inside in Jan. - Feb. that are ready to go outside in April or may.
To help keep them moist, elevate them an inch or two off the container bottom and pour 1/2" of water in to maintain humidity without touching the little pots they're in.

So if the container is humid and closed you don't need to buy a humidifier unless it's uncomfortable for you personally. :) Forced hot air heat can be brutal on the sinuses, especially in mid-Winter when it's running constantly.
You mention Crabs. I struggle with them for some reason. I've learned that I grow what will grow for me and leave the others to those that can grow them. Serissa happens to fall in to that category. I gave up on them long ago. There are just too many plants that I can grow to fight to keep the others alive.

Good luck with the plants and let me know if I can help further.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Humidity is really important for starting cuttings. They don't have any roots initially to take up water, so you really have to keep them from losing water in the meantime.

An easy way to do it is to cut a two liter soda bottle in half cross wise (closer to the bottom so you have the bottom third and the top two-thirds). Put a little bit of drainage holes in the bottom. Fill it with moist potting soil, put the plant in, then put the top half on and tape the halves together. Instant humidity dome.

djlen
Green Thumb

Or, being of the "think big" persuasion, you could do the same thing with a 5 gallon spring water jug!!! Then you can propagate several seedlings at once. But I have rooted up to 10 - 12 trees in one of those 2-liter bottles. Once they are rooted they are easily separated and planted into separate pots.

A nice ammenity of the jugs is that in many cases they are tinted blue which aids in keeping down the direct rays of the sun if you want to take them outside.

Thank you rainbowgardener!!

floraAdore

So happy to be here at the forum, gaining new knowledge from expierenced growers like y'all!!!
I love to Upcycle/recycle; so I love these ideas!! I hate how some ppl treat nature!! As a kid, we'd go on walks & pick up litter. When I take my doxen Tonka out to the beach etc, I still do. Every bit helps!
Since I tossed my aquarium ill try Rainbow's bottle design. Cheap & easy!
When I 1st purchased the serissa, they warned me she was a fickle gal :-() (also my very 1st tree). Not worth trying to force a tree to grow under conditions it doesn't like!! But being new to bonsai I've got many experiments ahead!! I'm also interested in trying powderpuff & pomegranate (in time, ill know their genus/cultivar names, excuse me !) basically they all my trees are sub or tropical at this point. I've got a S facing window that opens to a flat area 6ft x 4ft. It's not a deck, rather the roof of the apt below but, I want the husband to help me make a wooden perimeter so they can summer vaca w/o worry about blowing off & falling 3 stories!!
Any, ALL suggestions, ideas, criticism welcome & needed!!

djlen
Green Thumb

floraAdore wrote:So happy to be here at the forum, gaining new knowledge from expierenced growers like y'all!!!
I love to Upcycle/recycle; so I love these ideas!! I hate how some ppl treat nature!! As a kid, we'd go on walks & pick up litter. When I take my doxen Tonka out to the beach etc, I still do. Every bit helps!
Since I tossed my aquarium ill try Rainbow's bottle design. Cheap & easy!
When I 1st purchased the serissa, they warned me she was a fickle gal :-() (also my very 1st tree). Not worth trying to force a tree to grow under conditions it doesn't like!! But being new to bonsai I've got many experiments ahead!! I'm also interested in trying powderpuff & pomegranate (in time, ill know their genus/cultivar names, excuse me !) basically they all my trees are sub or tropical at this point. I've got a S facing window that opens to a flat area 6ft x 4ft. It's not a deck, rather the roof of the apt below but, I want the husband to help me make a wooden perimeter so they can summer vaca w/o worry about blowing off & falling 3 stories!!
Any, ALL suggestions, ideas, criticism welcome & needed!!
A suggestion: Start a new thread with a title like, "Suggestions for a display area for my trees.....with limited space".
Many more people will see it out there with it's own title and you'll get more help with that question than if it's buried here. :)

floraAdore

Good idea. Must admit, hope ppl don't find me annoying though! 1 question always leads to another, eventually. There may be an onslaught of questions ahead! :>

I feel lucky I can find advice from experienced growers! There aren't any clubs/societies in my area closer than 2 1/5 hours. So, THANK YOU!!

djlen
Green Thumb

We all love to chat here. We are not annoyed at questions. We all learn from one another. That's how you learn!!!

Now go annoy somebody!!!! :-()

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”