Eco-Breena
Newly Registered

My Bonsai is in need of some help!

Hi everyone,

I am a new owner of a bonsai zelkova plant which I got as a present from my lovely boyfriend on valentines.
Unfortunately I went on holiday for two weeks and when I returned the leaves have become very crispy and dry and with the slightest touch it falls off. The soil was when I first came back very dry. I watered it about once every two days and I have left it by the sun for as instructed about 3-4 hours a day. My bonsai is kept indoors. I have read somewhere on the forum that if you scratch the bark half way up and the bark is green underneath it is still alive? Is it true?
What shall I do about my dry leaves? Please tell me it is not dying!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Eco-Breena,
I went on holiday for two weeks and when I returned the leaves have become very crispy and dry...Please tell me it is not dying!
Unfortunately, It may already be dead. You cannot expect to leave a growing bonsai indoors for two weeks without watering any more than you can leave a puppy alone for two weeks and expect a good outcome.

Stop watering it, a compromised/leafless tree will use much less water and overcompensating by too frequent watering will only serve to damage the roots further. Read this and begin using the chopstick method to determine when to water.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=1479

To determine if it has a chance begin at the tips of the branches and slowly nip the end off looking for green tissue. If you work your way back to the trunk and still no green, that branch is dead. If all branches are dead it may still recover by sprouting from the trunk. Really all you can do is wait.

Zelkova is not a particularly good species to try indoors even if properly attended to. Where are you located?

Norm

Eco-Breena
Newly Registered

Gnome wrote:Eco-Breena,
I went on holiday for two weeks and when I returned the leaves have become very crispy and dry...Please tell me it is not dying!
Unfortunately, It may already be dead. You cannot expect to leave a growing bonsai indoors for two weeks without watering any more than you can leave a puppy alone for two weeks and expect a good outcome.

Stop watering it, a compromised/leafless tree will use much less water and overcompensating by too frequent watering will only serve to damage the roots further. Read this and begin using the chopstick method to determine when to water.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=1479

To determine if it has a chance begin at the tips of the branches and slowly nip the end off looking for green tissue. If you work your way back to the trunk and still no green, that branch is dead. If all branches are dead it may still recover by sprouting from the trunk. Really all you can do is wait.

Zelkova is not a particularly good species to try indoors even if properly attended to. Where are you located?

Norm
Thank you for your reply Gnome. I am based in Wales, UK, so the weather here is very wet a lot of the time. I will definitely try and check the branches. I will let you know how it goes.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”