floraAdore

Patience, a virtue not necessary! (Kind of. . .)

I'm new to bonsai (& this forum!). Since I got my 1st tree 6montgs ago, I read everything I can, have bought more trees :>, books, tools of the trade, etc. my husband (who has no other choice but be engulfed by bonsai as well) quipped "You don't have the patience!" True, patience is a quality I lack.
Today I came across a quote I thought appropriate! Frank Okamura answered, when ppl would lament they didn't have the patience, he'd say "Patience is what you need when you don't like what your doing." I 2nd that!! (although the anticipation IS killing me!!)

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Re: Patience, a virtue not necessary! (Kind of. . .)

Styling care, leaf and bud pinching, soil scavenging, pot rustling, wiring, and the other unlisted two-kajillion chores we've not talked about can each take more time than simply coppicing and potting up a tree.

Better you have time to draw out how you might want to develop your stock, than have too many trees to give them the care they need.
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

floraAdore

That's exactly what I was working on last night!!! I consider myself a fairly artistic person; and w/ bonsai always on the brain it was natural progression to start drawing them. Only yesterday though did I start sketching one of my trees, a young serissa I'd like to grow literati style. I've read & it seems this style is often accomplished w/ conifers. I'm a novice, some ppl might think this is silly perhaps!
Learning curve, ahead! :>
Drawing the tree, in my opinion is vital to the progress of the tree. I explained it to my husband, "it's like putting together a puzzle, far easier to look at the cover of the box as you go instead of working blindly." That's how I feel anyway. It's really helped me figure out what's next, a sense of space.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Watching your tree(s), and drawing how you think they will grow, may lend itself to where to prune--wire next.

Heck I dunno maybe our carbon dioxide laden breath helps trees.

I'm just posing our trees do better because of our touch.
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

Gnome
Mod

Flora,

This question was posed to Walter Pall:
Do you enjoy the process? Or do you simply focus on the message and outcome?
It is of extreme importance to enjoy the process. Otherwise you will never succeed. It is like in sports or music. If you don't enjoy working out you may have a lot of talent but it is wasted. In an eastern sense the doing is the aim, in a western sense the result is the aim. I simply combine both and I am happy with it.
If you are not yet aware of Herr Pall.
https://walter-pall.de/00gallery/index.html

Norm

floraAdore

I have a Pinterest account, & on it I have an bonsai inspiration board. I love pinning pictures of natural bonsai & trees that particularly strike me, & all those images are quickly available in 1 spot! ( Highly reccomend pintrest!) I've seen many trees styled by him but, didn't know anything about the man! Thanks for the link! He's got a great page, such passion & seems like a humble man.
Yesterday was my 29th birthday & hubby took me to N.E Bonsái Gardens!!! EIGHT greenhouses full of nice stock. 4 hours FLEW by!! Well worth the 2 hour drive. The bougainvillea's were in full bloom, the dainty leaves of the Japanese maple danced slightly in the breeze, soft pillows of moss at the bases begged to be touched! I wanted to go back before I left! There are many classes I'd like to attend but you must be a member & have taken the basic course. Of course I signed up for a membership $10 a year WELL WORTH it.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”