floraAdore

1st time ordering wire; suggestions on what buy

Beginner enthusiast; I have a brush cherry & 2 serissa pre bonsai & a boxwood I bought as nursery stock. I've read serissa have easily scarring bark & that to boxwood is a very hardwood. . . So, I need a little bit of everything!
I've used rubber coated copper wire my husband had lying @ for the wiring I have done & have no clue as to the thickness or what mm is appropriate for young branches etc.
was thinking I'd get 1.5. , 2.5 & 3 but, I also have zero hands-on knowledge so. . . . Help!!!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

floraAdore,

Are you sure that you should be wiring right now? Generally trunks and roots are developed first, then primary branches are considered. Only after that should fine tuning be considered. If your trunks are not approaching their desired girth wiring may not yet be appropriate.

So, I hear you say how thick is thick enough? Read this:
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/rules.htm

And also this:
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/trunks.htm

FWIW, I generally rely on the clip and grow method, wherein the grower directs growth via pruning. Perhaps if I had more advanced material wiring would be required but for now, not so much.

Norm

floraAdore

Thanks for the links!! The serissa & brush cherry are deff years away & that's just a guesstimate but, the trunk of the boxwood is 2" & I'm happy w/ that. I'm definitely anxious though & I'm working on cultivating the patience I will need for bonsai!!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Wiring, weighting (down), spreading, and carving, are all going to built from things at cross purpouses.

Wire will at times go on with insulation left on. Others its going to made of reused wire that you burned off the insulation to straighten wire.

Your "Picker" foraging instincts will direct you to the bottom shelves as you rummage around in older hardware stores.

But as Norm notes wiring (as with) bonsai pots is most likely some years down the road.

As far as pots go yard & church rummage sales are your friend

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”