madonnaswimmer

Colorado Blue Spruce-- worth it? (pics)

I'm a beginner-- I have 2 trees but they're not much to look at. Started Bonsai within the last year.

I found this Colorado Blue Spruce for $7 at the Home Depot. Figured it was cheap enough to take a risk. But I do have the option of returning it if the board decides it stinks!

I can't find a lot of info on this species and how well it might work as a Bonsai.

I was thinking to do an informal upright.

Here are some photos. There seems to at least be equal foliage around the tree with no huge gaps or missing branches, which is more than I can say for my other trees! You cannot tell much from the photo, but the trunk does at least have some element of taper, which again is more than I can say for at least one of my other trees.

Front (?):

Right side:

Back:

Left:

So, is it worth it or should I take it back to Home Depot?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Coppicing a tree takes some practice strokes (us a pencil & paper).

You are talking rebuilding the entire top of that spruce.

madonnaswimmer

tomc wrote:Coppicing a tree takes some practice strokes (us a pencil & paper).

You are talking rebuilding the entire top of that spruce.
What do you mean by "coppicing"?

After meeting with the Milwaukee Bonsai Society yesterday, I have some good ideas. I am planning to expose some of the roots to get a better idea of how tall I want the tree to be. A few members thought I should leave the top of the tree for now, but I think it needs to go!

Also, they said I should choose between repotting into a bonsai pot OR styling it, and not do both. If I repot, they said I should wait to style until next year, and vice versa. One member also thought I could swap out the soil for bonsai soil, keep it in a "regular" pot instead of a bonsai pot, and that way I could style it. What do you think?

Also, what fertilizer to use and when?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

madonnaswimmer wrote:After meeting with the Milwaukee Bonsai Society yesterday, I have some good ideas. I am planning to expose some of the roots to get a better idea of how tall I want the tree to be. A few members thought I should leave the top of the tree for now, but I think it needs to go!
Its always best to do one proceedure a year. It permits the tree to reach its new balance. So I'm gonna concur with repot or coppice (coppice; to reduce the top to its lowest living bud). But not both.
madonnaswimmer wrote:Also, they said I should choose between repotting into a bonsai pot OR styling it, and not do both. If I repot, they said I should wait to style until next year, and vice versa. One member also thought I could swap out the soil for bonsai soil, keep it in a "regular" pot instead of a bonsai pot, and that way I could style it. What do you think?
Again pick one from any collumn. Not two. IE repot or bonsai pot, not both.
madonnaswimmer wrote:Also, what fertilizer to use and when?
I use a few osmocoat pellets in with my home made bonsai soil and a very dilute soluble fertilizer after about the fourth week after repotting. Oh say 1/4 strength. Every other week through the summer.

To my curmudgeonly eyes a willingness to hurl your tree through three or more profound pruning proceedures at once, suggests that your going to repot with loess or peat based potting soils. Don't do that. Buy or mix soil specific to your trees needs.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”