LexStarwalker

Re: Spring & Summer Care for New Japanese Maple Bonsai?

Thanks for the tips Norm. I guess I should have waited to get a liquid organic fertilizer, if only because it sounds easier to deal with.

LexStarwalker

Just a quick update. :)

My maple is doing very well. All of the leaf buds have opened, and I'm seeing new growth at most of the nodes. He's also gotten a little taller! He seems to be liking the new soil and pot. He's gorgeous when the sun hits his red bark and green and red leaves.

Thanks for all the tips and pointers. I'll try to post some more pictures sometime in the near future.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

LexStarwalker wrote:Just a quick update. :)

My maple is doing very well. All of the leaf buds have opened, and I'm seeing new growth at most of the nodes. He's also gotten a little taller!
Some growers would wait a year, others might push on. If your just dieing for something to do, leave the first pair of new leaves and clip off the rest on each branch. This will tend to shorten the internode length. Making your tree more compact.

I would not leaf-cut this year.

LexStarwalker

Would it be better to do that, or to wait a year to give the trunk time to thicken? The trunk is very thin still.

Thanks!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Pick one. if your goal is to fatten up the trunk plant him to field. Acer palmatum is shallow rooted, but potted s-l-o-w-s things down.

LexStarwalker

I live in an apartment, so unfortunately putting him in a field is not possible. However, he is in a 5 gallon bucket now, so hopefully he'll have enough room until next spring.

I think I will hold off till then and then decide what to do. It seems most the mistakes I've seen people make on these boards are due to impatience and jumping the gun. I'm content to wait until the next step becomes clear. :)

That said, if you really think it would be a good idea to prune the new growth as you described, I will take you at your word as you obviously have a lot more experience in this than I!

LexStarwalker

These are pictures from a few weeks ago, he's got even more leaves now!

008 by LexStarwalker, on Flickr

009 by LexStarwalker, on Flickr

LexStarwalker

These are from today.

010 by LexStarwalker, on Flickr

011 by LexStarwalker, on Flickr

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”