matthewmj
Newly Registered

Soil question.

I've researched a bit on types of soil for bonsai, and I'm wondering if what I have right now is good and what kind I should get if not or for the future.

This isn't really a great picture, but it kind of shows the soil I have right now:
[img]https://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4885/picture3926tz8.jpg[/img]

I'm assuming it's mostly organic because there is alot of bark and small woodchips in it. From what I read that isn't great and I should get something less organic for easier water drainage and airation. There also seems to be fertilizer in it, little green, yellow, and white balls (I'm not sure, though).

Is this soil appropriate for my bonsai? It's a fairly small Juniper, I don't know how old, and I don't know how long it's been in that soil. If I need new soil, what specific kind should I get? Do you have any recommendations for something I could pick up at a local hardware store or nursery? And if I get new soil, should I replant my bonsai immediately?

Also, would putting something on top of the soil (like moss, not rocks) benefit it at all?

ynot
Greener Thumb

Welcome to the forum matthewmj :D,
matthewmj wrote:I've researched a bit on types of soil for bonsai, and I'm wondering if what I have right now is good and what kind I should get if not or for the future.

This isn't really a great picture, but it kind of shows the soil I have right now:
Your right it is not a great picture :P ;) ...

You've done some research and are still wondering if this is good soil?? [There are 444 threads on this site alone that reference soil, Did you read the stickys on soil here?]
I'm assuming it's mostly organic because there is alot of bark and small woodchips in it. From what I read that isn't great and I should get something less organic for easier water drainage and airation. There also seems to be fertilizer in it, little green, yellow, and white balls (I'm not sure, though).
Don't worry about the ferts.
It's Mostly wood chips? [If so, That does sound overly organic for a juniper.

I feel I should mention that it is the particle size that is more related to drainage/aeration than whether it is O or IO as that [O- I/O] has more to do with moisture retention.
I am betting this tree stays wet for a very long time after a thorough watering...Correct?
Is this soil appropriate for my bonsai?
I would say- Not appropriate, It looks like potting soil or...I don't know??
Is it possible for you to post a more helpful picture? What I can make out does not look very good at all.
And if I get new soil, should I replant my bonsai immediately?
You have not told us anything about the the health of the tree {Putting on new growth or in decline} nor your location {Alaska? Australia? Or in between?} so it is difficult to be able to offer help w/ decisions like that. If it is healthy, You may still be able to get away with it this year... It is late though.
If I need new soil, what specific kind should I get? Do you have any recommendations for something I could pick up at a local hardware store or nursery?
Are you willing to mix your own soil from various components?
If not, There is not likely to be any appropriate bonsai soil at the places you suggest. An online retailer would be your best bet.
Also, would putting something on top of the soil (like moss, not rocks) benefit it at all?
Good question! The answer is: No, Absolutely not.

ynot

matthewmj
Newly Registered

You've done some research and are still wondering if this is good soil?? [There are 444 threads on this site alone that reference soil, Did you read the stickys on soil here?]
Sorry, I didn't know there were THAT many. I read the sticky and a few of the links it had to try and find the simplest and most straightfoward answer. Since there isn't really one, I read some of the basic ones.
It's Mostly wood chips? [If so, That does sound overly organic for a juniper.
Yeah, there's a ton of little pieces of bark, and I poked a little at the top part and found small woodchips and few large ones.
I am betting this tree stays wet for a very long time after a thorough watering...Correct?
Yep, usually a couple of weeks because of rain in between waterings.
I would say- Not appropriate, It looks like potting soil or...I don't know??
Is it possible for you to post a more helpful picture? What I can make out does not look very good at all.
I took another picture and made it alot bigger. It's at the bottom of the post.
You have not told us anything about the the health of the tree {Putting on new growth or in decline} nor your location {Alaska? Australia? Or in between?} so it is difficult to be able to offer help w/ decisions like that. If it is healthy, You may still be able to get away with it this year... It is late though.
The tree seems to be doing ok as far as I can tell. The leaves are brown towards the trunk of the tree but they've been that way since December (when I got it). It also has some new growth on it. I live in Maryland, and it's pretty hot now, though not too humid. I've waited so long because the weather got really weird and it got to freezing temperatures during spring :shock:
Are you willing to mix your own soil from various components?
If not, There is not likely to be any appropriate bonsai soil at the places you suggest. An online retailer would be your best bet.
If I can get the stuff from a hardware store or nursery I wouldn't have too much of a problem, unless they cost a fortune.

Thanks for your answers.
Heres the new picture. I probably can't get much better than this:
[img]https://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5556/picturenv8.jpg[/img]

tarian

I use ordinary compost mixed with gravel or bark(orchid growers)
and a bit of sand or akadama

but every enthusiast probbably has they're favorite.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”