xhigh_artx
Newly Registered

What kind of Bonsai are these?

I have these two bonsai and I have no idea what the are can someone help. [url]https://www.xanga.com/xhigh_artx[/url] click to go to my xanga page where I have pics. Any help is greatly appreciated.[/url]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

xhigh_artx,

Hello and welcome to The Helpful Gardener. The top two look like that plant is possibly a Ficus of some sort. Look [url=https://bonsaihunk.8m.com/cultural.html]here[/url] for information about them.

The other looks familiar but the name escapes me, perhaps someone else can help there. Please read the sticky threads at the top of the forum, make sure to follow the links as well as they will answer most beginner type questions.

Just one quick thing for now. Those pots both have drainage holes right?

Norm

xhigh_artx
Newly Registered

No the pots don't should they>?

ynot
Greener Thumb

xhigh_artx wrote:No the pots don't should they>?
Yes, Absolutely.

Please check out the articles on this page : https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics.html Specifically the ones re: beginners, indoors, watering and soil. the others will be useful also but start there.

It as well as others are linked in the stickys gnome mentioned.

I agree the first one is a ficus, The second looks familiar also but would not usually be considered 'traditional' bonsai material as it appears to not grow woody stems which would give it a tree-like structure.

ynot

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

xhigh_artx,
No the pots don't should they>?
Yes, adequate drainage is essential. Without such your plants will suffer and eventually die off. I don't believe that the second plant is really suitable as bonsai but that should not stop you from growing it if you like. The Ficus (?) can be a bonsai but will need years to grow out.

You do need to locate another pot but a "finished" pot is not required, an ordinary plastic nursery pot would be fine. You will also need some decent soil, and by soil I do not mean potting soil but a free draining bonsai mix. Have you read any of the stickies or the other link I posted previously?

Norm

xhigh_artx
Newly Registered

YAY :D After hours and hours of searching I have found out what the second one is! Zamia furfuracea, or Scurfy Zamia or also know as a cardboard palm. Thanks for everyone's help! Now hopefully I can get started on taking way better care of them than I have been!! Gotta get new pots and such. Thanks again.

ynot
Greener Thumb

When you say:
Gotta get new pots and such.

Does the 'such' refer to new soil?

You never answered Gnomes question [below] or indicated in any way that you have even bothered to read the links he was kind enough to post.
Gnome wrote: You will also need some decent soil, and by soil I do not mean potting soil but a free draining bonsai mix. Have you read any of the stickies or the other link I posted previously?
That would be the first actual step if you are serious when you say:
Now hopefully I can get started on taking way better care of them than I have been!!
Good luck

ynot

xhigh_artx
Newly Registered

No I have not gotten to reading those yet. I am new to bonsai and my first step was to identify the ones I have. Now that I know what they are I am going to go back through all the links. And yes I meant soil and watering and sunlight etc. I am VERY new to bonsais so I don't know exactly what all I have to do but I am going to take care of them.

ynot
Greener Thumb

Excellent to know :)

Good Luck 8)

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”