LiddleBuddha
Cool Member

Fertilizer Questions...

Hello all...

(I posted this topic/question elsewhere, but everyone here is always super helpful so I thought I'd post it here as well!)...

I am wondering about the application of fertilizer. (Yup, I'm a total naive newb! hehe..) Basically, I'm unsure of whether I mix fertilizer into the soil, apply on top of soil, add to water, etc. If anyone could kindly provide advice to me on how/when/how much I'd greatly appreciate it!

Here's what fertilizers I have so far:
- I'll be getting some balanced 10-10-10 or 20-20-20 fert from a nursery this weekend (Any recommendations would be totally appreciated!)
- 1 bag of Bone meal
- 1 bag of Blood meal

I can't find Hoof & Horn meal anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find this, by chance?

I'm sure that fertilizing methods and uses depend on soil mix used, tree, environment, etc. I'm going to mix a few recipes and try them out, based on a very helpful and informative article I read.

Below are the bulk components that I'll have at my disposal for mixing my own soil:

- Turface MVP
- Haydite
- Decomposed Pine Bark
- Pool Filter Sand
- Pea-Grit (Gravel)
- Miracle-Gro "Moisture Control" potting mix
- Micro-Plus from Hollow Creek

I'm also picking up a 50lb bag of Chicken Grit from a local feed mill this weekend.

I realize that there is an ongoing debate about the upsides and downsides between organic and inorganic (<-- proper term?) fertilizers. So I'm completely open-minded. Since I'm just starting out, I am considering trying organic ferts on some trees and inorganic on others and seeing how it goes. Dunno.

I think that's it for the moment. Much appreciation, in advance, for any help, advice, suggestions, etc.

Best Regards,
LiddleBuddha

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Well as too the fertilizer, Phil addressed that at BC, just follow the directions, very good advice by the way.

As to your soil, are you planning on using all of those ingrediants? IMO I would only use the turface, haydite, and pine bark in maybe a 45-45-10 mixture but that is just general and the specifics rely on the type of tree and your location, climate, ect. I don't use precise ratios but I do a general mix see how it looks and then ad more if needed, depends on the person.

Experimentation can help because not everything works the same for everyone, I'm doing the same thing right now as well.

Tom

LiddleBuddha
Cool Member

Hey constantstaticx3
constantstaticx3 wrote:Well as too the fertilizer, Phil addressed that at BC, just follow the directions, very good advice by the way.
Indeed, thanks!
As to your soil, are you planning on using all of those ingrediants?
I'm not planning to use all of them at once. Probably something like what you mentioned. At least 75-80% inorganic content.
IMO I would only use the turface, haydite, and pine bark in maybe a 45-45-10 mixture but that is just general and the specifics rely on the type of tree and your location, climate, ect.
Got ya. Ya, I was thinking to definitely use the Turface MVP and Haydite together. Possibly some of the pool filter sand or chicken grit for a couple of trees(?)

I've also got the Miracle-Gro "Moisture Control" potting mix. But I've got real reservations about using anything like that as an additive.

For now the trees are mostly common needle junipers that I dug up at my mom's and my work, so I'm thinking of experimenting a little. I live in south-eastern PA so it tends to get fairly humid in the summer.
I don't use precise ratios but I do a general mix see how it looks and then ad more if needed, depends on the person.
I understand. Is it possible to make a mix that is all red or purple? Just kidding! For now I'll probably measure everything til I get the hang of it. (I'm sure my lady is gonna love when I reassign the measuring cups and spoons as bonsai tools! hehe)
Experimentation can help because not everything works the same for everyone, I'm doing the same thing right now as well.
Cool! Let me know if you discover anything that works better or worse than something else, if you could!

By the way, Static-X is a cool band. Are the inspiration for your name?

Thanks!
LiddleBuddha

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

LiddleBuddha,

I think I would avoid the Miracle Gro potting soil, its contents are:
"This product is formulated from 50-60% sphagnum peat moss, coconut fibers (coir pith), composted bark fines, perlite, a wetting agent, and fertilizer."
To my way of thinking if you are going to the trouble to locate Turface and Haydite why would you then clog things up with such a finely textured, organic material? Not to mention that the "wetting agent" takes control of the moisture level in your pots away from you.
For now I'll probably measure everything til I get the hang of it. (I'm sure my lady is gonna love when I reassign the measuring cups and spoons as bonsai tools! hehe)
No need to actually measure anything. Instead you can use any container or scoop you may have on hand and mix by "parts" IE: 4 parts Turface, 4 parts Haydite and 2 parts bark is 80% inorganic / 20% organic.

By the way keep the Junipers on the lean side, in other words mostly inorganic.

Norm

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Gnome made some good points with the miracle grow mix, not a good idea. Also, with measuring, this is not an exact process by any means so do it in parts like gnome said.

My sn is actualy a song name but not by that band. I made it a long time ago, the x3 part was just because the name was already taken.

Tom

LiddleBuddha
Cool Member

Hey constantstaticx3 and Gnome,

I completely understand what you're saying about the Miracle-Gro. I definitely had my suspicions about that stuff. Perhaps I can use it for some of my house plants.

Thanks for your recommendations about the soil and measurements! I've seen those fancy bonsai soil scoops. I'm thinking one day maybe I'll get some of those. But for now I'll probably just use a big red plastic beer cup or something. Should work okay, provided I don't drink any beer out of it in between measuring scoops of soil out! :shock: :twisted: haha..

constantstaticx3, that's cool about your sn. Would I be prying too much if I asked who does that song? (Sorry, I'm just a HUGE music fan. hehe)..

Thanks!
- LB

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”