Currently_Planted

Is my ficus sick/dying?

Hello all!

I am brand-new to bonsai, although I've admired it for years. I finally took the plunge and purchased 3 charming indoor plants about 10 days ago and have been carefully following the watering/sun instructions. 2 of them are great and are dealing with the transition to my home beautifully. My new ficus, though, seems a little unhappy. I don't know if it's just transition shock or if it's actually sick, so I took some pictures of what's troubling me with the hope that someone more knowledgable could take a look! (I hope the pictures work; I'm new at this...)

The yellow-green leaves seem mostly dead; they fall off easily, either from just brushing against them or from gentle tugging. Should I keep removing them?

Thank you so much for your help!!!
[/img]

manofthetrees

if the end leaves and buds are not effected the tree is just dropping leaves.in my expieriance ficus will do this and just keep the leaves closest to the branch tips if they are not in optimal conditions.
ficus do like alot of light and do very well in full sun.it may also be from overwatering. ficus can withstand drying out and will begin to wilt when left too long . once this happends a good watering will bring it right back in a day.too much water is not a good thing

Currently_Planted

Thanks for your reply! I have the ficus in full sun and I water it every 5-7 days, per the instructions I was given. There have been fewer leaves dropping the past few days...so maybe it IS just transition shock. Hopefully I've just been an overly concerned plant-parent!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Timing watering is a sure path to failure. Stick a chop stick (or your finger) into soil, water when it checks dry.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”