Blackdawn_70631

Green Trunk No leaves Plus Ants

Okay, so there's some leaves. This is my tree:
I checked the trunk last night and it's green, but the leaves have fallen off and some new ones are trying to come out, but they're moving slower than last year.
I've had this tree since June or July of last year and it was blooming the prettiest white flowers for about a month or two. It sprouted fast too and had new limbs in another month. But getting closer to Fall, the blooms stopped and it's leaves begun falling off. That's when I noticed THREE variety of insects: Aphids, Mealy Bugs and Ants. I was able to get rid of the Mealy Bugs and kept the Aphids at bay, but not gone. I had no idea what to do with the ants.
I left my tree alone during the winter because it was so cold I couldn't treat it. But a day ago I treated it with a mix of non-detergant liquid soap, vegetable oil in a 32 oz. spray bottle and it WORKED on the Aphids. Still have the ants and am wondering how to get rid of them. I've tried submerging the roots to move them up and out, but that didn't work.
I have some SAFER insecticide soap Insect Killer ordered and am waiting on that to arrive in about a week. In the mean time, can anyone tell me what's wrong with my tree? Why does it has a green trunk with no leaves and how can I get rid of these ants? Can I buy some SAFER dust and put it on the soil? Can I mix SAFER and water together and submerge the tree?
Is my tree even going to make it another week?????

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Oil, and soap mixed (and probably diluted) with water creates a dormant oik spray.

It is likely the cause of your shedding leaves.

Soft bodied insects like aphids are usually treated with a dilute soap spray (no oil). The soap causes soft bodied insects to dry out and fall apart.

Dormant oil is a treatment for scale or other harder to kill bugs while the tree is dormant.

Blackdawn_70631

While the tree is in dormant?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Yes Dawn a dormant oil spray should be used in the winter while tree is dormant and leaves are absent.

Even in Louisiana trees go to sleep in the winter.

Blackdawn_70631

Okay. Thanks.
I was scared at first. I'm actually very bad at taking care of plant life. I can and have killed a cactus before. But this tree is special cause it was a gift from my husband and I was frightened that I was killing just like the rest. This is my third bonsai tree. Last two I killed.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

You and celeryliz have tried buying (or being gifted) into bonsai.

Bonsai is about collecting--creating a knowledge base before you get far on the growing end.

Part of that skill-set is handling your tree every single day. you will want to poke the soil with a chops-stick (to check for soil moisture) daily.

You will want to compare your tree to other trees for styling options.

You will want to collect a stash of soil appropriate for your tree.

Your gonna wanna range near and far on the internet. Bonsai was here going back rec.arts.bonsai. Think of new ways to prod Google. There's lots to do and little time to do it in.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

If thats a holly, and I think it is, why is it indoors in Louisiana?

Blackdawn_70631

Cause the last tree brought termites & ants into the house. We had to call Orkin back just for the that. I had to still bring it in because it was still chilly at nights. Louisiana can have mountain weather certain times of the year, hot during the day but freezing temperatures at night.
I've always liked bonsai trees and I really want to collect them, but our house and property are not set up for these kind of plants. Inside we have a cat and two dogs, so nothing can be left low where they can nose. Like a bonsai at night stand level. And me and my husband prefer dark rooms, so our rooms are not set up for plants, meaning the only SAFE place is the kitchen.
Outside it faces the stray dogs and cats, the neighbor's dogs and cats, the opossums and racoons, then ground level it's armadillos and moles. We have all have them in our front yard. Not too mention deer. I opened the back door once on sunset and the door barely missed hitting the head of a wild deer that was on the back steps eating cream corn we left out for the cat, and that was it jumping the chain link fence too to get to it.
I had told my husband today to take the tree outside after he got home from work, and when I got home it was still inside. Now it can't be outside because it's so cold I can see my breathe, but the day was so nice today. If my tree makes a few more months, until its one year anniversary, then I will be confident enought to know I can take care of it for years to come without killing it.

Blackdawn_70631

tomc wrote:If thats a holly, and I think it is, why is it indoors in Louisiana?
Hard to tell now, but it's a Fukien Tea. It's so pretty when it has all it's leaves and starts to flower. Once it start looking better (I'm already seeing new leaves) I'm going to replant into a larger rrectangle pot. One that fits the window seal, then am going research on how to prune it it.
Tomorrow is my day off and it's going outside in the back where I can keep an eye on it.

SvetSad

Is it in bonsai soil or are those rocks glued on top for decorative purpose?

difficult thing about fukien tree is they are so finicky and are prone to pests, and do not tolerate much pest control, and therefore will throw leaves.

And you say it only bloomed for a month or two, was that by chance during more humid months? Because my tree that I keep indoors blooms year around as long as I keep misting it with water few times a day. If the humidity is low, it will throw leaves and not bloom, but comes back really quickly when regular/often misting resumes.

Blackdawn_70631

The soil is the soil it came in. The rocks were glued together and I had to break them apart. My tree started losing it leaves when the bugs came in, but I had to stop misting because of the house getting cold, it would freeze with the water on it. It's starting to get humid again so the leaves are gradually ccoming back. And there is no bonsai soil here. I live out in the country, so if it's not at Walmart then you have to order it online. I might not even find the pot I need to replant it if it's not at Walmart, and all my plant shopping as to wait for Thursday till I have a chance to go into town for school. To buy stuff from Lowes that a 200+ miles drive and my husband and I don't have the money for the that right now.

Blackdawn_70631

I also read that a sick or newly repotted fukien can't be fertilized for a month, but every soil I have ever seen around here is a type of fertilizer. Also read my tree should get new soil by March. I really don't know what to do or what kind of soil I can get it. If anything, I'll have to order some kind of bonsai soil through a site that uses Bill Me Later, that's what I'm doing with the incesticide soap......I had gone to Ivey Lumber looking for insecticide soap, and all the employees was looking at me like I was scary. None of them have ever heard of it before.
What kind of soil should a buy that's budget friendly?

SvetSad

If you don't want to mist your tree because the water might freeze, your tree is in too cold of a condition. Most care instructions suggest not to have in in temps bellow 40°F

Also, there are other options to make your own bonsai soil, you can probably search this forum and find some suggestions.

things like diatomaceous earth (can be found in Napa auto parts stores) and I think there are types of coarse aquarium sand that could work too

Blackdawn_70631

Isn't putting new soil in like repotting? That's what I thought anyway. I checked my tree this morning and it was cold, cold to the touch. Winds kicked up last night while I slept and was hitting the window it's by. So is it OK for me to even change the soil right now? We have warm and pretty sunshining days, but still isgetting cold at nights.

Blackdawn_70631

By OKAY to resoil I mean in its dormant stage. I actually found some soil that would be perfect for it and can pay for it later.....my situation is always turning up where I have the money, just not now.

SvetSad

no I'm not saying you should change soil/re pot right now

but you were saying that you were in search of bonsai soil, and so I was just telling you what options there are, but you should research further.

you should wait maybe another month or so... unless you think it will die in that time if you keep it in current soil

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”