1babypoon
Newly Registered

New bonsai owner seeks Azalea advice.

I got a Satsuki Azalea Bonsai for mother's day.
I'd like to trim it but am not sure how. I also notice some buds is now a good time to trim? Do I want to cut some buds to get more? Does this plant need deadheading? If you can't guess I'm very new at this.

ynot
Greener Thumb

1bp,
Welcome :)

A care sheet for you https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Rhododendron.html

Keeping these in shape can be a balancing act as the timing of pruning is important. A quick google ['satsuki bonsai'] will find you plenty of info on the timing of proper pruning for these. [I am assuming yours has not bloomed yet.]

Any chance of a picture? :D

ynot

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

1babypoon,

I also notice some buds is now a good time to trim? Do I want to cut some buds to get more?
Not really sure what you mean by this. My azaleas in pots are just now blooming, a little later than the one in the ground. If you prune out flower buds now you will lose your display for the year. Unlike some other plants, removing flower buds will not promote any more this year.
Does this plant need deadheading?
Yes, but not to promote more flowering. Instead this conserves the plants energies that might otherwise go into seed production.

Norm

tarian

I purchased a azalea this week but arrived with the package destroying the bloom that has come.
I red a leaflet and some books on plants(bonsai/azalea)
they showed diagrams of cuting this years bloom (once it has gone)
back down the branch to were the next set of leaves containing to shoots/ball from where the next flush of flowers will burst

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”