vista9995
Newly Registered

Juniper Bonsai - Help

I have these litte green things coming up in the dirt. There is alot them and they are really tiny. Every once in while I will have what looks like leaves come up but those are a lot bigger and I just pluck them out. But these other one are really small and I have to scrap the dirt off to get rid of them but now there is a lot of them. Usually maybe a thumb size of these come it but now it practicall cover over half the dirt. What is this and what should I do. [/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Picture would really help. Looks like maybe you tried to insert one. You can't upload pix to here directly from your computer, they have to be online first at some photo hosting site. Detailed instructions are in New to Helpful Gardener? under Helpful Tips and Suggestions for New Members.

Welcome to the Forum!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Its not uncommon for weeds to grow. Moss could also be a culprit.

Plucking them out from time to time is part of housekeeping bonsai need.

As RBG notes that is as far as we can go without a photo.

vista9995
Newly Registered

Thanks I will try uploading a photo. If it is moss how do I treat it.
Last edited by vista9995 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vista9995
Newly Registered

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Looks like moss. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Its roughly a trees dandruff.

Tweeze it away from time to time.

If it becomes too lush, it can interfere with watering.

vista9995
Newly Registered

Thank you for the helpful and swift responses.

Will the moss hurt the bonsai?

I have seen on the forum in a few place that it important for the juniper to go dormant. What do you need to be on the look out for if your plant has not gone dormant?

What signs are there that it has gone dormant?

My other bonsai is an Azaela bonsai and some of it leaves have fallen off but not all yet which is what it is suppose to do when it goes dormant right?

Sorry for all the questions these are my first bonsai and I have had them since May.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Azalea is evergreen. It should not lose its leaves. It does need a period of cold dormancy like the juniper. For things that are not deciduous trees, dormancy just means they stop growing, stop taking up much water, and just sit there. Think of pine trees in a winter forest.

Plants that require a period of cold dormancy will seem ok for awhile without it. But they are using up energy without being able to replenish it, so after awhile (which might be in the second winter of no dormancy or might be sooner), they just kind of give up.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Juniper:

Quite hearty, likes a good winters rest. Foliage may redden some outdoors in low light (think of this as a resting color) in winter.

When this dormant period is withheld eventualy something shuts down / breaks down, roots decay top becomes dry and brittle. Death often occurs before its noticed.

Azalea, this is a large family that occurs in N-America and Asia. North american azalea are winter hearty shrubs and need a cold dormant rest. Rhododendrum Indica does not. but still likes a cool weather rest.

In my opinion both juniper and azalea are outdoor trees only. (R-Indicum needs a winter green house).

Light levels indoors are indadquate to your trees needs. Often even with supplimental light.

vista9995
Newly Registered

They are outside plants and I am really suprised they are still alive. We still have leaves on our trees. This winter has been crazy it was 10 degrees on Saturday and it is 60 degrees todaay. With all the sudden temperature changes I am really worried I think the Juniper is going to be okay but the Azeala is probably a lost cause. Which is to bad because I have never seen it bloom. So even if the juniper has not gone dormant it might not be problem unless it happens again.

Thanks guys you have been a great help

tomc
Super Green Thumb

That your leaves have gone red and even fallen off on the azalea, is due to its winters rest.

Don't neglect it now. Check water daily and cross your fingers against spring.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

vista9995 wrote:Thank you for the helpful and swift responses.

Will the moss hurt the bonsai?
The steenth time moss has tried to climb up your trunk, and you have tweezed it off and killed yet another tooth brush brushing the remainder off your tree. You may not like moss as much.

Or if you have many trees, the steenth time to the tenth power you got to weed...

manofthetrees

ha ha I kinda wish I had that problem by summer all moss I have in pots is dried up to never return .I have it all over the yard but as soon as I pot it its a goner. it drives me nuts

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”