SvetSad

Juniper turning.... RED

My 2 juniper trees are turning red... they are NOT dry and brittle, but are getting a red tint . I've had them for close to two years, and this is the first time they have done that.

I keep them outside.

they've started getting that red tint probably late fall, at first I thought I killed them, but the needles feel like they do on a healthy tree.

I took a picture, but it doesn't even look that red in the picture, also it's blurry because it doesn't show up in picture with flash. I can try to retake the picture tomorrow, when there is more light out (if needed)

tomc
Super Green Thumb

In this post please do not find a tone of my being superior, cause I aint.

I wanna take this as a teachable moment, and part of the daily routine I think is needed for bonsai care and bonsai grower maintenence.

As per your observation the needles haven't dried, and *I* think your surmise that this is a winters coloration (from lower light levels) is probably the right one.

I have to add the caveat, "I don't grow juniper". But other evergreens like Rhodies also redden up in the winter.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have a regular (not bonsai) prostrate juniper in my yard and it looks just like that in the winter. I think evergreen really means "doesn't drop its needles," doesn't mean it literally stays green all winter. It will green up again in spring.

SvetSad

I have limited bonsai experience, and I've never seen evergreen trees do that.

But, this is my first full winter in 15 years, in a climate that actually has seasons, and winter.

My other guess was going to be city pollution.

Thanks for the response.

I'm so amazed that I've never noticed that in nature before. Although there are a lot more things that I do pay attention to/observe in nature now since I've started keeping bonsai trees :)

tomc
Super Green Thumb

All I can be is anecdotal, but lots of evergreens show seasonal changes.

If your juniper was showing drying it would be a whole different diagnosis.

koiboy01

Hi,
It is just the winter colour for some junipers, I have a couple of Juniperus Boulevard and they allways change colour in winter then come spring and they start getting back to green again,so don't worry it is natural.
koiboy01

Hortpropresearch
Newly Registered

Yes, I know this is an old post, but for people who are looking for accurate answers I Wil put in my two cents.

Many cultivars of juniper change color in winter naturally, the image shown by the original posting member is showing color I am.very familiar with, many juniper with the glaucous coloring change to a reddish or even purplish color at it's extremities. The colder it becomes the more intense the coloring becomes. This is caused by a number of hormonal changes and a lack of photosynthesis due to semi-dormancy. Wilting juniper, blue carpet juniper, blue star juniper are just a few of the varieties that may change the coloring of its foliage in winter. There is a cultivars which I cannot remember the name of but originates in China, and it becomes the most red in winter than I ever seen with my eyes.

BUT, fungal infection can also cause similar coloring, but it the color changing is usually isolated to smaller areas like one side of the plant and usually takes a long time to change the entire plants coloring. Usually the older foliage changes coloring first in the case of a fungus.

Intense this case, the coloring is uniform, and seems to be in the newer foliage. I believe this particular juniper is a show off, presenting its naturally occurring winter beauty for us all to enjoy and have something to talk about.

:-)

Hortpropresearch
Newly Registered

Not wilting, wiltonii

webmaster
Site Admin

Hortpropresearch, thanks for taking the time to answer this question! :)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”