mlovatt
Newly Registered

Is it too late for my Bonsai?

Hello -
My boss gave me a bonsai tree and I think I've killed it. It's in a small 4x6 pot and the foliage is all very dry right now, although there are a few limbs that appear alive.

Is there any recovering? Any suggestions would be lovely.
Thanks,
Mary

ynot
Greener Thumb

mlovatt wrote:Hello -
My boss gave me a bonsai tree and I think I've killed it. It's in a small 4x6 pot and the foliage is all very dry right now, although there are a few limbs that appear alive.

Is there any recovering? Any suggestions would be lovely.
Thanks,
Mary
Hello & Welcome :D

We don't have much info to go on here...

Tell us a bit about how long you have had it, The care it has received [It's location], Species [if known]...Etc etc.

In cases such as this....Pictures are invaluable, [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3557]Here[/url] is how to take pictures that will help us help you.

To test it to see if it is still alive, Simply scratch the bark in an unobtrusive spot down to the cambium layer [Just below the bark].

If you see a pale green color there is still life within...Any other color [IE: Tan or Brown] is bad news. It might be best to do this in several different spots [Trunk & a branch or two] to check for die back of branches.

ynot

mlovatt
Newly Registered

Hi -
Thanks for the tips. I'll take a photo and post tomorrow. I've had it since February. It's been in my florescently lighted office since then. In the beginning I watered it every few days, but it has definitely had some times where I was traveling and it didn't get any water. Right now the soil feels moist and I watered it on Friday.

I'm not sure what type of Bonsai it is. I looked at photos available on the helpful gardner and it's labeled "t," but I didn't see a photo key.

Thanks for your help!
Mary

ynot
Greener Thumb

mlovatt wrote: I'm not sure what type of Bonsai it is. I looked at photos available on the helpful gardner and it's labeled "t," but I didn't see a photo key.

Thanks for your help!
Mary
Mary,

I look forward to your pictures, I must tell you right off that an office is not an environment that is bonsai friendly in any respect, [Lethal is a better word for it ~ All trees live outside, Even bonsai. Though the tropical ones need to be wintered indoors, They prefer to be outside when the temps are suitable.] Terrible lighting, Neglect, Drafts, A/C...ect.. None of these these are beneficial to your tree.

:?..Ah I always forget that long neglected [IE: No key :evil:] gallery is there..Took me a while to find it actually.

I think the picture you refer to is a pine of some sort, This most likely means that your tree is a juniper [I hope you were referring to the foliage as the shape of the tree has nothing whatsoever to do with the species, We will see by the pictures].

If it is a juniper [Image search 'Juniper bonsai' on Google] I am sorry to tell you that it should live outdoors all of the time. Spring, Summer, Winter, Fall... all the time.

Since you have had it inside [And I am assuming it came from a vendor who had it indoors] for the majority of the winter this means it did not have a dormancy period which is a biological necessity for temperate trees.
It's best to wait until we have a species ID before I bother with all that as it is still unknown at this point.

ynot

mlovatt
Newly Registered

Drat.
I might have to give my bonsai up for adoption. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Mary

ynot
Greener Thumb

mlovatt wrote:Drat.
I might have to give my bonsai up for adoption. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Mary
:shock: :( hmmm... Nah, No need for extreme behaviour now;), Just take it home and set it free into the wilds of your outdoor patio. :D

Possibly, Get a cacti for the office. ;)

ynot

mlovatt
Newly Registered

No outdoor patio here. I think I can find a loving home for the tree.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”