bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

extremely sick ficus

I'm having a ficus emergency! My ficus has only mabey 6 or so leaves on it, all the branches seem to be dieing, and the airial roots are shrinking! This sickness happened about a month or two ago, when leaves started yellowing. I thought I was over watering it, so I didnt water it as much. But the leaves continued to turn yellow, and fell off at a massive rate. I was told I was over caring for it, so I only watered it 2 times a week. But symptoms only got worse, and soon some branches started to die. Then came along a white, cottenlike fungi that grew tward the base of the roots. And I just noticed today the roots appeared to be thinning. I don't know what to do! Please help!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

B.B.

Is this the same tree you previously mentioned [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22062&highlight=#22062]here?[/url] If so, you abandoned that thread some time ago without ever resolving your soil issues. As I recall you were using (considering?) a mix that was very heavy in organics or even garden soil. As was stated previously this is a bad move. I have no idea what you ended up with as you have posted no pictures or described your soil.
Then came along a white, cottenlike fungi that grew tward the base of the roots.
If mold/fungus is growing in your soil it is very likely that the soil is retaining too much moisture. You are not providing enough information. Did you follow our advice or did you go with the heavily organic mix?

Norm

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I did use a tiny bit of pottig soil in my mix, but it is mostly 80-90% sharp rocks/grit. I would not call it heavy organic soil. I have experimented with various kinds of mixes in plantless pots, and I figured out the soil I'm using has the least amount of orgaic soil in It as possible, without it completely deteriorating when watered. However, I'm open to any suggestions that might help motify the soil. And it still is the same bonsai.

ynot
Greener Thumb

BB.

When did you repot this [And how many times, If more than once]? Before or after it got sick?
[Pictures are always helpful-In this case of the soil also please.]
bonsaiboy wrote: This sickness happened about a month or two ago, when leaves started yellowing. I thought I was over watering it, so I didnt water it as much. But the leaves continued to turn yellow, and fell off at a massive rate.
Yellowing leaves are a common sign of overwatering and backing off was a good idea. The common mistake people make is to overcompensate too far in the opposite direction-I don't know that this happened here but it happens often.

It continued to lose leaves because just as it did not get sick over night...It does not get better overnight either.
I was told I was over caring for it, so I only watered it 2 times a week.
2xs a week means nothing to me, The question is 'How often did it need it?'
Is it in the same pot?
Considering the content of your soil I am not sure what to think of that as potting soil tends to wash down through all the grit to the bottom of the pot [Due to it's small particle size.] Then you are left with a layer of [Usually-though maybe not in this case] wet dirt at the bottom of the pot with a layer of progressively drier [potentially bone dry] grit above it. Neither is going to make your tree very happy.
Considering the mold issue below though.....Maybe not.
But symptoms only got worse, and soon some branches started to die. Then came along a white, cottenlike fungi that grew tward the base of the roots. And I just noticed today the roots appeared to be thinning. I don't know what to do! Please help!
This sounds like continual wetness to me [Which would indicate a highly moisture retentive soil at the surface, Imagine what the depths are like.]
I did use a tiny bit of pottig soil in my mix, but it is mostly 80-90% sharp rocks/grit. I would not call it heavy organic soil. I have experimented with various kinds of mixes in plantless pots, and I figured out the soil I'm using has the least amount of orgaic soil in It as possible,
:? :? :?: Considering the red part of this statement, I cannot see how the green part can possibly be true.... NONE is the least amount possible.
As I have said to you before in the your previous thread that Gnome linked to
ynot wrote:Do you mean regular soil [As in garden/potting soil?] If so... No, No and No again.
It also is too fine in particle size and limits aeration in the pot, There are far more effective choices for soil components.
without it completely deteriorating when watered.
I am not sure what you mean by this.

ynot

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Sorry for the long wait. What I ment by deteriorating is the soil, when watered, would fall through the drainage holes at the bottom. I'm going to most likely by some tropical bonsai soil for it. It appears to be doing better now. I have, however, taken a clipping from it, so in case it dies, I will be able to grow a new one. I have used a deluted fungicide on it, and that also seems to be helping. I think this is all I can do for now. I only water it when the soil becomes only slightly moist (a day away from 'dry') AKA every other day. It lost most folage, so it doesnt need that much, and I probe the soil depths, as to make shure no exess moisture builds up.

Thanks for the help though! My bonsai may just pull through.

ynot
Greener Thumb

Ok,

Keep us posted.

ynot :)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”