NaturesAttendant
Newly Registered

New member looking for Chinese Elm bonsai tips

Hello!
I just registered today and I'm looking for some advice/ tips on what I should start doing after getting into the Bonsai hobby.

I received a Bonsai kit in Christmas, a gift from my gf's mother. It came with a Bonsai (really?), fertilizer, stimulator (?), a scissor (heavy duty shears?) and a book. It has 8 years from what I know.

After reading it I got a general overview of what Bonsai is, Bonsai species, basic Bonsai needs and more. Knewing that, I identified my Bonsai as an Ulmus parvifolia (Chinese elm). Just searched some information about it and I guess I pretty much know the basics.

The tree was always kept indoors from what I've been told but after reading I realized it was an out-door tree and that it should be exposed to sun most of the time. Now this is where it gets tricky as I was advised to keep it in shade.
I've been keeping it outside from the afternoon until night but I wanted to know your opinion about it.
I live in Portugal and so temperatures are as follows:

Code: Select all

Month 	Air 	
Jan - Mar 	17.1 ...°C, 62.8 ...°F 	
Apr - Jun 	21,8 ...°C, 71,2 ...°F 	
Jul - Sep 	26,3 ...°C, 79,3 ...°F 	
Oct - Dec 	17,2 ...°C, 53,0 ...°F 
I've been putting it on my window ledge as it's almost impossible for it to fall. Should I place it in a more secure place though? I'm able to put it in a balcony if needed although my neighbours smoke a lot and sometimes the ashes end up in there.

I'll follow up with some pictures.

As you can see some (very few) leaves are curled while others are kinda yellow-ish. Is this something I should worry about?
Regarding the soil, does it look okay?

Thanks so far.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You are off to a good start - you have done some homework/ reading, started learning about bonsai and about your tree. And you made a very nice post with good information and pictures.

Too often people come here and post something like:

"Help, I just got a bonsai, what do I do." [period, nothing else]

So I'm sure you will do well.

As far as specifics, you are right that your elm tree needs to live outside. But if it has been inside all the time, you can't just plop it out. It needs to get hardened off gradually. So find a very protected site outdoors, with indirect or filtered light, shelter from wind, etc. Leave it out a few hrs the first day and gradually more over a week or two. Once it is used to the outdoors, gradually move it to less protected areas.

The soil looks very heavy/dense/ organic/ moisture holding. It will need to be in freer draining soil. Be very careful not to over water in the meantime. Someone who is knows more about bonsai than I do will need to come along and give some suggestions about soil and when to re-pot it in better soil. You will need to do that, but the timing of it is important and it can be hard on your tree if you make too many changes all at once.

Best Wishes, keep us updated on how you do with your new hobby.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

NaturesAttendant,

In your climate I would be inclined to keep a Chinese Elm outside all year. I shelter mine approximately 3 months of the year but during that time we can get well below freezing. I don't like the idea of moving it inside and then outside so much.

Surely you can bring it in to enjoy periodically, and briefly, but outside is the way to go. Mine are kept in as much sun as I can manage on my property but my climate is not the same as yours so a somewhat sheltered (shaded) location may be desirable.

As RBG noted your soil is not ideal and it will retain moisture. But, counter-intuitively perhaps, it will also be difficult to wet thoroughly. Thorough soaking should always be your goal. Any advice concerning over watering should be taken to mean too frequent watering. Quantity is not the issue, frequency is.

Spring is the best time to re-pot so you have time to research what constitutes a proper bonsai soil. We have a sticky in the library section that deals with this topic.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”