Adam_San
Newly Registered

Advice: Is my Serissa diseased?

I bought a Serissa foetida a couple days ago from a nursery. Despite its being moved home in a cold climate, it seems to have coped well with the initial shock, so far. A few leaves have turned yellow (with dark green tips) and then fallen both today and yesterday. It looks quite healthy, however - by my amateur opinion. What concerns me is the base of the trunk. When I bought it, I noticed the trunk was greenish and a bit soft/flaky. Concerned, I asked the shop owner what this was - she said it was just moss, and that it would come right off and I shouldn't worry. On further inspection, it would seem this moss has grown under the bark of the tree at the base. Root structures have grown through the moss (removed in the picture), and these roots seem to belong to the tree itself. I would very much appreciate your advice. Is this a threat to the health of the tree? What should I do to help the tree? I don't want to shock the exposed roots coming off the trunk. Is this tree more prone to infection, having part of the bark gone?

Oh, more information relevant to the yellowing leaves. I already mentioned it is a cold climate here. I am using a humidity tray to regulate the humidity to 50-60%. I keep it by a west-facing windowsill at day with a 60W grow bulb, and close the very well insulated blinds at night. The temperature shouldn't drop below... say 60 F. Daily temperature ranges from 60-70 F. My watering schedule is 2x a week, tops - however, only if the soil is near dry. I feed every other week. It gets a full day of winter sunlight, supplemented with a grow bulb, from noon till bedtime (often quite late for me). I have not pruned at all or repotted - it is still in its plastic dish and the store's bonsai soil. Oh, and those serissa flowers are starting to develop. Looking forward to that, unless my tree decides to throw a climatic fit. Anyway, I greatly appreciate your time and help, thanks.

Last edited by Adam_San on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gnome
Mod

Adam,

This is a species that has a reputation for being finicky. I have never attempted this species so I am not really able to offer much in the way of specifics. Hopefully another member will comment.

Norm

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Adam - you said "removed in the picture," but I'm not seeing any picture. Instruction for posting pics here are in New to Helpful Gardener? under Helpful Tips and Suggestions for New Members. It seems like a picture or two would be very helpful.

Gnome - I think you are a little conservative about advice sometimes. Even though you haven't grown serissa, you have a lot of bonsai experience which should help you say something about the general situation of moss growing under the bark and some of the bark removed. I'm not a bonsai grower, just a regular gardener and tree grower, and I haven't seen the picture, but offhand it sounds pretty unhealthy and not like a tree I would have wanted to buy.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Adam_San
Newly Registered

Sorry, something must have happened to the picture. Here it is again.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”