cobra 198

Ficus questions.

Moderators note: For the sake of continuity this thread was split from another in the bonsai gallery. The thread in question can be found
[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3379]here.[/url]

Wow ynot,

This is an awesome thread. Since I got my little malsai as a gift last week, I have been doing my research. I just found this post and I gotta say, it has inspired me to go to a nursery and buy a cheap plant and prune it way back like you have done here. It is really cool to see the progression of what you did!
I'm hoping to go this weekend and pick up a 1g ficus or so, if I can find a good one. I have never shopped for a plant before, but I think I understand how to look for good nebari etc.

One question for you: JUst want to make sure I understrand this correctly. So when you made the taper cut, you just waited for new growth to come up out of the cut then wire it straight up and later pruned it back twice to get a good taper from the trunk to the new branch? Did you seal the cut, or wrap it at all so it didnt swell (not quite sure what that looks like, but I was reading a broom tutorial earlier and they were talking about it).

Also is it now too late in the year to get a ficus and do this drastic prune job, or will I be ok?

Sorry for bringing up an old post, but like I said that little ficus has inspired me to go to a nursery and try to get my own little creation underway! Thanks

ynot
Greener Thumb

This is an awesome thread. Since I got my little malsai as a gift last week, I have been doing my research. I just found this post and I gotta say, it has inspired me to go to a nursery and buy a cheap plant and prune it way back like you have done here. It is really cool to see the progression of what you did!
Hey cobra,

I am glad it fired you up :D, And as always I am glad to hear about some research 8).

Another route you could go is [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3524]here[/url]in another thread [Again using these cheap ficus. 8)] Someone else mentioned they were inspired by the fusing.
I'm hoping to go this weekend and pick up a 1g ficus or so, if I can find a good one. I have never shopped for a plant before, but I think I understand how to look for good nebari etc.
Do note that this was a specific cultivar [pandora] of ficus benjamina that has smaller leaves than the normal variety. No biggie really as ficus leaves will reduce with good light but it is something to be aware of.
Also is it now too late in the year to get a ficus and do this drastic prune job, or will I be ok?
Ficus are tropical plants [They cannot take the cold [below 50f] and they have no dormancy{Or winter leaf loss}] So any time at all is a good time for this, If you do it in the winter when it is kept indoors it is VERY beneficial to have supplemental lighting for them as it promotes tighter growth.
One question for you: JUst want to make sure I understrand this correctly. So when you made the taper cut, you just waited for new growth to come up out of the cut then wire it straight up and later pruned it back twice to get a good taper from the trunk to the new branch?
Essentially yes, Although do keep in mind that cutting back past all the foliage on ficus benjaminas is not suggested, As they may not backbud [re-sprout].

What you can do to induce buds to break lower on the trunk [For a chop above them later] Is to prune hard [Not all the foliage mind you] and this will hopefully produce some backbudding down low.
{Notice that I had an entire branch with foliage below where I chopped it}

I did also wire the branching into the shape that you see as it grew out, None of that is natural as the new growth would have had a far more vertical aspect to it if left alone.
Did you seal the cut, or wrap it at all so it didnt swell (not quite sure what that looks like, but I was reading a broom tutorial earlier and they were talking about it).
Ficus have a particularly sticky latex like sap so I do not use any wound paste w/ them. The wrapping that you refer to is more specific to preventing swelling around a chop for a broom style broom, No need for that in this case at all.

IMO The two best things you could do for this project [Applies to bonsai in general really] are:

1. Use proper soil
2. Provide excellent light
Sorry for bringing up an old post, but like I said that little ficus has inspired me to go to a nursery and try to get my own little creation underway! Thanks
That is awesome to hear 8), Have fun! Take plenty of pictures of your progress. 8)

No problem for me whatsoever.

Gnome, Could you please start a thread in the forum from Cobras post on here so that he [she] may update it as his progress is made. Much appreciated.

ynot

cobra 198

Ynot,

Thanks again for the info!
Another route you could go is here in another thread [Again using these cheap ficus. ] Someone else mentioned they were inspired by the fusing.
This is very cool also. Ill look around for a ficus that would be appropriate for doing that technique.
Do note that this was a specific cultivar [pandora] of ficus benjamina that has smaller leaves than the normal variety. No biggie really as ficus leaves will reduce with good light but it is something to be aware of.
Good to know. Ill look for a smaller leaf version right off the bat. Is it a popular variety that most nurserys will carry?
Essentially yes, Although do keep in mind that cutting back past all the foliage on ficus benjaminas is not suggested, As they may not backbud [re-sprout].
This is also good to know. I did not realize this before because I hadnt seen this drastic of a pruning job on a ficus before. Ill try to look for a ficus with a branch below the spot where I will chop that I can leave on. I take it this will promote backbudding out of the cut area?
IMO The two best things you could do for this project [Applies to bonsai in general really] are:

1. Use proper soil
2. Provide excellent light
As I look around the net more and more, I can see that these two things are very important. As for the soil, I did not ending up getting the soil on the web. I was reading some posts and found out that many peope use aquatic plant soil, which works very well. Since I can get a bunch at the local store, I'm going to give it a try I think.

I'm hoping to get some free time this weekend to pick up a (or maybe a few) ficus form the nursery, along with the soil. Ill keep you posted on my progress. Ill probably post a pic of the ficus and ask for pruning ideas! Thanks again for all the help!

ynot
Greener Thumb

cobra 198 wrote:Ynot,

Thanks again for the info!
Your welcome 8), BTW in keeping with our theme here of possibilities for cheap ficus...:lol: [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3561]Here[/url] is another route you can go with the 'pandora' cultivar.
Also I just used regular Ficus benjamina for the fusing project - Just so you know.

Good to know. Ill look for a smaller leaf version right off the bat. Is it a popular variety that most nurserys will carry?
This can be hit and miss, Often they are several smaller trunks in smaller plastic containers, Down to a 1 Quart size. You might have to dig a bit for them ;).

I know gnome has 'mini lucie' which is a Ficus cultivar that has similar sized {smaller} leaves as 'pandora' and is usually located in the small plastic containers also in the greenhouse.
This is also good to know. I did not realize this before because I hadnt seen this drastic of a pruning job on a ficus before. Ill try to look for a ficus with a branch below the spot where I will chop that I can leave on. I take it this will promote backbudding out of the cut area?
:Nodding head: Exactly :D.
Actually wrt Ficus b. it need not be a solid branch, Healthy foliage [below your intended chop point] is all that's needed in my experience.
Chopping on these guys will make you fearless 8) and never again will you be afraid to chop :P 8) :D.
As I look around the net more and more, I can see that these two things are very important. As for the soil, I did not ending up getting the soil on the web. I was reading some posts and found out that many peope use aquatic plant soil, which works very well. Since I can get a bunch at the local store, I'm going to give it a try I think.

I'm hoping to get some free time this weekend to pick up a (or maybe a few) ficus form the nursery, along with the soil. Ill keep you posted on my progress. Ill probably post a pic of the ficus and ask for pruning ideas! Thanks again for all the help!
If you read about the [url=https://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:rhTpCYKQBdDDXM:https://www.vermillionwaters.com/images/10-aqs25.jpg]Aquatic plant soil[/url] here it was most likely me that wrote it [Possibly a few other places also. :D]
In fact, The forest thread I linked to above is growing in 90% exactly that.

Do note that it does need to be sifted to eliminate the fine particles.

I look forward to seeing what your going to get up to :D.

ynot

cobra 198

Hello again,

Well, today I was able to make it to a nursery to look for a ficus. They didnt have a pandora or other small leaf version, but I did pick up a regular Ficus benjamina. It is the kind with about 10 small ficus in the pot, perfect for a fusing project. :D

I was thinking about taking the thickest one (its not super thick, like 1.5 or 2x the girth of a pencil) and chopping it down and making it a stand alone bonsai. Not sure tho, it may not be thick enough for that. I was looking for one with a low branch that I can make a cut above. Then with a few more of the thick ones ill do (or or alteast try to do) a fuse job. ;-)
What do you think of that plan? How many of the ficus should I try to fuse do you think? :P
Re-potted and root pruned 2 malsai earlier today, and I'm thinking of digging into this project tomorrow!

Here she is:

[url=https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/cobra198/IMG_7165.jpg][img]https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/cobra198/th_IMG_7165.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/cobra198/IMG_7163.jpg][img]https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/cobra198/th_IMG_7163.jpg[/img][/url]

ynot
Greener Thumb

but I did pick up a regular Ficus benjamina. It is the kind with about 10 small ficus in the pot, perfect for a fusing project. :D
...:D
I was thinking about taking the thickest one (its not super thick, like 1.5 or 2x the girth of a pencil) and chopping it down and making it a stand alone bonsai. Not sure tho, it may not be thick enough for that. I was looking for one with a low branch that I can make a cut above.
How about just potting it up by itself to fatten up for a while. 8)

I suggest you get an organic component [Bark bits] to mix with the arcilite for ficus soil. [O/IO= 2/3]
Then with a few more of the thick ones ill do (or or alteast try to do) a fuse job. ;-)
What do you think of that plan? How many of the ficus should I try to fuse do you think? :P
Re-potted and root pruned 2 malsai earlier today, and I'm thinking of digging into this project tomorrow!
How many?... I did 5 and it seems to be going ok :D, I am going to peek at it at the end of this summer as I think it should be done fusing together.

I think you will find a little preparation will benefit you greatly:

First you will need to separate these ficus into separate pots [With good soil]. This will be involve a surprising amount of cutting, I promise. :P

Root prune the thick vertical roots and let the fibrous root systems develop which will give you a much better nebari and root system later on.

Then just let them fatten up all summer with bi-weekly doses of fert. [You could chop them down to about 10 or 12 inches high{or whatever} and root the tops {These will root in straight water [Changed every other day] btw} for more things to play with :).

Doing this will slow their thickening as it reduces the overall amount of foliage that the trunks support]

It will all come together in time... 8).

ynot

cobra 198

ynot,

When I put them in different pots with good soil, do I use the O/IO mix of 2/3 still?

Sounds like a good plan, I'm off to get some bark chips.

Thanks for the insight.

ynot
Greener Thumb

cobra,

Your Welcome :D
cobra 198 wrote:ynot,

When I put them in different pots with good soil, do I use the O/IO mix of 2/3 still?
Always and forever, Unless you feel like tweaking it of course.

I doubt if your easily going to find properly sized organic components.. But I am not feeling optimistic today...:shrug:

Read more, You will shop less :P ;):lol: Actually I am glad to see someone actually go get something to fool with.

Provided you continue to research bonsai, You will learn much from this small investment.

Take tons of pictures [for your own records] try to learn from your losses.. [I am telling you now...There will be victims...]

'Deaths in the family' shouldn't inhibit you from trying stuff though. That is what is so great about these ficus, Your main investment is emotional NOT financial so they are easy to replace if you lose them. [Hopefully you can figure out what the problem was...& not repeat it you know]

ynot

cobra 198

Well.... I got the bark chips, sifted out the small particles and went to work on the ficus group. It was quite interesting getting it all apart. I was trying to be as gentile as possible, but you were right about the cutting- I had to do do alot of it. I got them all separated out and found some nice nebari on the larger parts. For the small parts I'm letting them soak in water to make some new root systems for a future part.

I took the thickest one and put it in its own pot. I may have jumped the gun a bit, but I took the top off the plant - hopefully to promote some growth from the trunk. Here it is, I'm curious to see how it goes!

[url=https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/cobra198/IMG_7170.jpg][img]https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/cobra198/th_IMG_7170.jpg[/img][/url]

Sorry I didnt put in anything in the picture to give you an idea of the size. The trunk is probably about 3/8" and its about 4.5 inches tall. Think I should have cut a bit lower like right above that first twig, or is it ok?

Anyways, just thought id give you the update!

ynot
Greener Thumb

cobra 198 wrote:Well.... I got the bark chips, sifted out the small particles and went to work on the ficus group. It was quite interesting getting it all apart. I was trying to be as gentile as possible, but you were right about the cutting- I had to do do alot of it. I got them all separated out and found some nice nebari on the larger parts.
um...Ok, I was just laying out steps in the plan, I didn't intend to give you the impression you should do all this on the same day.
These ficus are very forgiving and I doubt this will be fatal [but this was not what I meant at all wrt the time line involved.
Patience is required...Patience].
Also FYI, See [url=https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_BonsaiTerms.html]here for the definition of nebari[/url].:)
More pictures please.8)
For the small parts I'm letting them soak in water to make some new root systems for a future part.
They need decent light and fresh water every other day, Hight humidity is very helpful. Did you remove some of the lower foliage?

I took the thickest one and put it in its own pot.
I may have jumped the gun a bit, but I took the top off the plant - hopefully to promote some growth from the trunk.
:?..Are they not each in their own pot? If not...The root systems will simply grow intertwined together again.
On one or all? You were trying to promote backbudding..? If that is that what you mean it would have been better accomplished after your tree had redeveloped a healthy root system in it's new soil [After unrestricted growth all summer as I mentioned before]
Sorry I didnt put in anything in the picture to give you an idea of the size. The trunk is probably about 3/8" and its about 4.5 inches tall. Think I should have cut a bit lower like right above that first twig, or is it ok?
It's always better to cut too high....You can always trim it later if need be but if you get some die back it can screw you.

Do you have any more pictures? Soil perhaps w/ description? How do you feel about the mix you ended up with?

ynot

cobra 198

um...Ok, I was just laying out steps in the plan, I didn't intend to give you the impression you should do all this on the same day.
These ficus are very forgiving and I doubt this will be fatal [but this was not what I meant at all wrt the time line involved.
Patience is required...Patience].
Yeah, I knew you were going to say that Lol. One of the reasons I did the trimmng, was because I was having trouble with keeping it upright. I tried wiring the rootball also, but even so it didnt want to stand upright very well. By trimming it, it made it alot easier to stand upright.
I need to work on the patience thing too I guess :roll:
They need decent light and fresh water every other day, Hight humidity is very helpful. Did you remove some of the lower foliage?
Yep. I'm changing the water often and giving them sun. I removed some of the foliage towards the bottom, but left some of it on.
..Are they not each in their own pot? If not...The root systems will simply grow intertwined together again.
Almost, they are not all in their own pots (cause I didnt have that many pots). I did plant them far enough from each other so they will not intertwine while the root system is developing.
On one or all?
Just the thickest one I put in the separate pot. I got the others (the ones I'm going to use for the fusing project) to stay upright so I let them be.
Do you have any more pictures? Soil perhaps w/ description? How do you feel about the mix you ended up with?
I think the mixture turned out pretty well. I tried to keep it at the mixture that you told me to stick to. I sifted both the plant soil and the bark chips to keep the tiny particles out. Heres a closer pic of the soil

[url=https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/cobra198/IMG_7178.jpg][img]https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/cobra198/th_IMG_7178.jpg[/img][/url]

Cobra 198

ynot
Greener Thumb

Reply is coming later
Last edited by ynot on Thu May 10, 2007 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

cobra 198

Awesome! Lol! Wow, my pic is making the sticky? I wasnt expecting that. Finally did something right, woohoo! That makes me feel good for sure. :D Thanks ynot
Last edited by cobra 198 on Thu May 10, 2007 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

ynot
Greener Thumb

Thank you...I will edit something here later...
Last edited by ynot on Thu May 10, 2007 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

cobra 198

Gotcha!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”