vdotson

First let me thank you for taking the time to assist me. It's greatly appreciated.

I read (actually studied) the information at the sites your directed me to more thoroughly and they answered many of my questions... not just the ones I've presented at this forum! Thank you, again!

With regards to the 7 yo, the trunk is in an informal upright shape. I can't see that being changed. What do you see that can be changed?

With regards to the 2 yo, thanks for the perspective on the style. I'll also take your advice and let it grow out for awhile. I was thinking defolitaiton would help the lowest branch and the bud just above it, which you can't see in the photo to grow faster. They are growing at a snail's pace compared to the rest of the branches. But perhaps, some judicious leaf pruning and summer will assist in that regards.

I had not planned on changing the front of either. I suspect by your question you have some thoughts on the matter?

There is no nebari on either.

Regarding the bigger pot: How big? What specific growth are you refering to? Number of branches? leaves? Trunk girth? Branch girth? Nebari? All of the above?

Again, thank you for all your time.

P.S. My reading has not ended with the articles you identified. These sites are a wealth of great information. I will be reading and sutdying for some time. :D

ynot
Greener Thumb

vdotson wrote:First let me thank you for taking the time to assist me. It's greatly appreciated.

I read (actually studied) the information at the sites your directed me to more thoroughly and they answered many of my questions... not just the ones I've presented at this forum! Thank you, again!

P.S. My reading has not ended with the articles you identified. These sites are a wealth of great information. I will be reading and sutdying for some time. :D
vdotson,

Your very welcome 8) and I am glad to hear your research continues :D

It is never ending actually.
With regards to the 7 yo, the trunk is in an informal upright shape. I can't see that being changed. What do you see that can be changed?
Given enough time, Anything you want :). As I said before more pictures would be needed to offer any specifics.

Styling obviously is very subjective.

IE: I am not fond of the 90 degree elbow bend that is happening [Plus the reverse taper there] but that is just IMO and anyway it is your tree. :)
With regards to the 2 yo, thanks for the perspective on the style. I'll also take your advice and let it grow out for awhile. I was thinking defolitaiton would help the lowest branch and the bud just above it, which you can't see in the photo to grow faster. They are growing at a snail's pace compared to the rest of the branches. But perhaps, some judicious leaf pruning and summer will assist in that regards.
I agree some fairly hard pruning of the top would help the lower branches out.
Ficus are apically dominant which means that they naturally tend to put their energy into growth towards the top of the tree. Pruning the top [Back to say...Two leaves per branch.] will make the tree will put it's energy into the lower branches.
I had not planned on changing the front of either. I suspect by your question you have some thoughts on the matter?
Is the photo of the 7YO from the side? {Is that pot oval or round? It looks as though it may be oval but the picture is from an odd angle [Usually one of the 'long' sides of the oval is the front.], This is why I asked about the front.}
There is no nebari on either.
Is there and potential nebari buried in the soil?
Regarding the bigger pot: How big? What specific growth are you refering to? Number of branches? leaves? Trunk girth? Branch girth? Nebari? All of the above?
IMO The 7yo is really too spreading for the it's current pot, It just seems to overpower the pot you know. That is an aesthetic consideration is all.

WRT the 2yo, A bigger pot would allow for a larger root system to develop [This of course will provide more resources for growth and allows for a longer period of undisturbed growth before it requires repotting.]

It need not be 'gimungous' by any means. Overpotting has it's [url=https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/overpot.htm]own set of problems.[/url]

[url=https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/growfast.htm]This[/url]is primarily about temperate trees but you will find some of the principles applicable.

Some useful info [url=https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/trunks.htm]Here[/url]about growing/styling a nice trunk and branches for you.

I hope these are helpful :D

ynot

vdotson

I sincerely apologize for being away for so long and not responding. Spring finally arrived here in Wisconsin and with it the infamous Spring Cleaning duties and, yes, Home Improvements! It's a race to complete everything before the snow flies once again :lol:

My bonsai have not been neglected, but on the other hand, they did not get the amount of attention I would have liked to give them nor have I completed all the reading I wanted to pursue.

wrt defoliation on the Ficus, I decided to do partial, based on all the articles you referred to me. Beyond that and attending to my 4 other bonsai (my jade was pot bound and needed repotting...it's doing very well, nursing a Chinese Elm, trying to understand my lantana camera's behavior and attempting to modify and watching with pleasure the explosive growth of my boxwood), I have not had much time to pursue the other perspectives you were kind enough to share with me.

Again, my apologies.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”