bobby97
Newly Registered

New Bonsai Trees

Ok, so I really wanted to start a bonsai garden! I plants and the idea of having a miniature tree is just incredible. I found these two kits online - one for a Dawn Redwood and one for a Japanese Maple - and I wanted to buy them both. The problem? I've never owned a bonsai or started one from a seed before. I don't know how to take care of them, how long they will take to grow or anything! I just wanted some basic knowledge on these two particular bonsai trees and, if you would like, maybe some in depth knowledge too. Oh, one more thing. In southern California, freezing temperatures aren't very frequent. Could I place my bonsai trees in the refrigerator to stimulate the "dormant" period? I mean, it gets cold at night, but during the day it can sometimes be warm (not always though, it gets cold during the day too) and I didn't want to confuse my plant. Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Are these the kits, like here:

https://www.bonsai-tools.com/bonsai/grow/

where they give you tree seeds? bonsai from seed is for the young and extremely patient. They give you seeds and a shallow bonsai pot, but that is the wrong thing to grow your tree seedling in anyway.

The first five years or so from planting the seed, all you will be doing is taking care of a tree seedling. You would want to grow that in a big pot. To make a decent bonsai, you want to have some trunk diameter (a rough rule of thumb is the height of the tree should be six times the trunk diameter) and you only get that by growing it for years in the ground or a large pot.

Sample japanese maple bonsai - look at trunk diameter:

[img]https://japanesemaplebonsaitree.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/japanese-maple-bonsai-41.jpg[/img]

Those seed kits are a rip off - you can get japanese maple seeds for free from anyone who has a tree and you won't need the bonsai pot for years.

AND that is before you get to the cold dormancy issue. Frig isn't a very good place for simulating that, being very dry.

If you want to try bonsai, you would be better off to get an already started "pre-bonsai" or "bonsai in training" tree of a variety suited to your climate. You could do a beautiful azalea or bougainvillea.

Here's a sample of what I mean by pre-bonsai:

https://www.bonsaiboy.com/catalog/pre-bonsai-trees.html

well started trees in nursery pots, that have been given some initial shaping. By starting with something like this, you avoid the first few years of growing a seed out.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Bobby, starting from seed and retaining that seed in a shallow pan can involve up to fourty years of mostly just plain old growing. The dimension of a bonsai pot slows down the rate of growth by several orders. Before you ever get the chance to do much in the way of styling.

Your mostly unstated "garden" sounds like it is being planned for indoors.

Indoor growing
Even with a substantial lighting system. No place indoors is suitable for the kinds of trees those kits will provide. Temperate zone trees live out of doors almost every day of their life. They (trees) don't get confused by the cycles of weather, its what keeps them alive.

If you do not have a space for a bench outdoors, no tree will do very well for you. Oh a tender tree like an Olive, needs to come indoors and under lights in the winter in Ohio. It goes right back outside in the spring.

Soil
Trees in pots need soil unlike any 'potting soil' sold in big-box stores. The closest match is cactus mix, although most people make their own soil.

Watering
There should be a sticky, or a FAQ on one of the bonsai forums here, that mentions how to check your trees need for water by using a chop stick. Read, understand, and follow this this FAQ.

You can amend your profile to include things like your state or province. If your gonna grow things, where you is matters.

bobby97
Newly Registered

yes, that was the exact same kit I was looking at! I think I'll take the advice about buying a pre-bonsai - sounds smart. Thanks for the help!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

To avoid a lot of frustration, along with your pre-bonsai, buy a book or two about bonsai and/or look for a local bonsai club. There's a lot to learn! :)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”