djlen
Green Thumb

Ilex Crenata

During last Summer I liberated 4 nice, large Holly plants from a lot where a bar had once been. The entire location has fallen into dis-repair and these hollies were going to be bulldozed if not removed.
They transplanted beautifully and grew nicely for me for the remainder of the Summer and into the Fall.
I'm worried now because since the cooler weather has moved into our area many of the leaves are turning red. They're not falling.....but just turning.
The variety I have are the very tiny leaved Holly. I believe they are the Helleri seen here: https://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/I/ilecre/ilecre1.html
if you scroll down a bit on the left menu. I can't seem to find any literature that says some Holly turns color in the Fall and so I'm a bit worried.
All 4 of the plants started turning at the same time and seem healthy in every other respect.
If anyone has some experience with Ilex in general or better yet Helleri in particular I'd appreciate some feedback.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Len,

Sorry, I can't answer your specific question since I don't grow Holly. I do, however, have other evergreen species that show color in the fall. An Azalea is now a very attractive bronze color, Boxwoods and Firethorns are also turning but neither is as attractive as the Azalea. I suspect that your Hollies will be fine.

Norm

djlen
Green Thumb

Thanks Norm. I suspect the same as they do look healthy and all went red or reddish at the same time. I know there is nothing I can do about it at this time so I guess the Spring and warmer weather will bring me an answer.

djlen
Green Thumb

I took a ride by and checked out the ones I didn't dig up and they look just like mine.....bright red. Looking good.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

djlen wrote:I took a ride by and checked out the ones I didn't dig up and they look just like mine.....bright red. Looking good.
I think I'd worry a lot less then.

Holly doesn't want soil as acidic as azalea or blueberry, but does like acidic soil. As long as soil doesn't seem waterlogged (another cause of bronzing).

I'd tuck it into its winter bed with dreams of next year.

djlen
Green Thumb

There are four and they are all in a protected area, ready for the Winter. I'm thinking I'm going to go over there and "liberate" the other two early in the Spring. I was amazed that they were still there. I'd have thought they'd all be bull-dozed by now but there they were.
I'm going to take some pictures soon and will post them here.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I like the looks of Holly, It back-buds OK. I'm not sure how one would get internode length reduced.

Never grew them long enough.

djlen
Green Thumb

The nodes on this variety are very tight and the leaves are tiny.
I've also found holly to be very easy to propagate from cuttings almost any time during the Summer. As long as you can give them good humidity to keep the soil moist but not wet they root almost 100% for me.
I am fortunate to have a few aquariums that I've cut glass lids for and they make wonderful little greenhouses for cuttings and also for germinating seeds. I like the cutting route better though because you get about a 2 year jump on your plants by taking cuttings.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Mine (before I moved) were volunteer air-layers. Any lower branch that touched the ground was most obliging at striking roots.

Now if they could just work the spiggot...

djlen
Green Thumb

"Select your plants wisely and be realistic about what you can grow successfully. To achieve success growing your plants, whether they are edible or chosen for their looks, you must choose varieties that most compatible with your soil type and your local climate."

She is correct!! One of the toughest lessens to learn, at least for me, was to grow what will grow for me. Plants that others grow seemingly without effort are impossible for me. While I find that I can grow things that others struggle with.
This is an important truth to come to grips with in our hobby.

djlen
Green Thumb

Well, it's now Spring and every one of the "hollies" are popping. I still am unsure as to whether they are truly holly but whatever they are they are definitely deciduous.

I pruned them heavily, both top and root and they are responding nicely so far.

Hope everyone is having a fun and productive Spring season.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”