wht
Newly Registered

Juniper Bonsai

I am new to Bonsai; so, please forgive my ignorance. I am fearful that I may have given my 14 year old Juniper too much fertilizer, Green Green. I understood the gentleman I purchased the tree from to use a whole bottle when I fertilize the tree, 36mL. The juniper is beginning to brown. I have been watering about every 4 days or so. Any comments on what I can do to help my tree would be greatly appreciated!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You say your juniper is 14 yrs old (which is probably what the vendor told you), but how long have you had it?

I found this old thread here about your Green Green:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18216&sid=b24e98e5123cb4620e3b3ae855ffa1d3

It looks like it is some kind of pure synthetic product, heavy on the nitrogen.

from the mfr's website I found this:

"One 36mL bottle of Green Green liquid bonsai fertilizer, especially designed for flowering and acid-loving trees.

Typical fertilization, depending on seasons and bonsai size would yield one to two bottles monthly."

Juniper does fit in the category of acid loving. One bottle monthly would probably mean 1/2 bottle every other week ... and that is from the mfr who is trying to sell product.

Lots of information you didn't give. WHEN did you apply this bottle of fertilizer. It is now almost winter and the juniper should be going dormant. You do NOT want to be applying fertilizer at this time, it encourages lots of tender green growth that will just get winter killed and prevents the tree from going in to dormancy.

And you didn't say where you are keeping your juniper bonsai, like indoors or out? Junipers are outdoor trees that require cold winter dormancy. They die indoors. Period.

So for more help, post a couple pictures of your tree (instructions for posting pictures here are in New to Helpful Gardener? under Helpful Tips and Suggestions for New Members).

Welcome to the Forum! I hope we can help you save your bonsai, but I have to warn you that junipers tend to die in slow motion from the inside out. By the time they are showing significant browning (you said beginning to brown, not sure what that means, that's why photos would help), it can sometimes be too late for them.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Another case of not telling someone what they wanted to hear maybe? It always puzzles me, someone writes in with what sounds like a serious concern. I look stuff up for them, ask follow up questions, give instructions for posting pictures and they never follow through. Why bother asking the question in the first place?

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”