lily51
Greener Thumb

How to keep this plant over winter?

I do not do bonsai as such,but do miniature gardens. One plant I really like is Elfin Herb, as it can be trimmed to look like a tree with blossoms. This year someone told me that if you can keep it going year after year, it will get to a moderate size with a beautiful umbrella canopy.
I brought three of these in, each planted in a terra cotta pot. While they thrived outside, they are not doing so well inside.
What is the correct way to get these plants to make it through winter, so I can put them back outside next year?

manofthetrees

this is a zone 8+ plant so it may need extra light to thrive indoors .they grow as weeds in hawii which has longer days than us. otherwise I do not know what could help

lily51
Greener Thumb

Its interesting how many plants we northern growers treasure and tend to are just weeds in other places!

applestar
Mod

Although I have never grown an elfin herb, I can give a general care scenario that would probably help.

Based on the info that it is a Hawaiian plant, I would suppose that it needs to stay above 55°F. Most likely somewhat shade tolerant (I.e. bright southern exposure upstairs window maybe sufficient during the winter months and not need supplemental light) while small and prefers high humidity. So I would put it on a humidity tray -- pebbles or a riser in a larger saucer filled with water that never reaches the bottom of the container. Heavily mist at least every morning.

In early spring, if the sun gets too bright/hot before it's ready to go outside, move the plant to west or east window or block the direct sun with lace or sheer curtain or move back from the window.

lily51
Greener Thumb

thanks apple. I'll try this method and see what happens.

manofthetrees

Its interesting how many plants we northern growers treasure and tend to are just weeds in other places!
:lol: I have plants that I treasure that my neighors think are weeds.
I have a garden that is strickly native plants that have blown into my yard.its a little time consuming making sure the seeds do not spread,but I don't like to sit still much.
this spring I am trying some bonsai accent plants with "weedy" material

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”