sandman
Cool Member

how would I get leaf reduction on an coatal live oak

got it over the winter and the leaves stayed on all winter, not sure if that is normal or not. anyways the leaves are fairly large 1x3 in probably just wondering if they will get any smaller or is that about it

ynot
Greener Thumb

sandman wrote:got it over the winter and the leaves stayed on all winter, not sure if that is normal or not. anyways the leaves are fairly large 1x3 in probably just wondering if they will get any smaller or is that about it
Sandman,
The short answer is yes. Brent has an excellent article on that [url=https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/leafsize.htm]here.[/url]

He starts it off with this point:
In Brents article he wrote: Reducing the size of leaves and the distance between them (the internodes) is the primary focus of the final training of bonsai. This comes after years of developing the trunk, the nebari, and the branches.
Are you at that point? If not you have plenty of time to research and become familiar with the techniques involved.

ynot

sandman
Cool Member

no I'm not really at that point I was just wondering how it would be done so when the time came I would know what to do. its got about a 1in base on it so it might be a few more years. I'm probably goin to buy a cam in the next couple weeks then ill post some pics to see what u guys think

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”