paulad449
Newly Registered

Bonsai care questions

I have six bonsai plants - a juniper, palm sago, ponytail palm, ficus & a fukien tea, which were from Home Depot. My baby juniper is from bonsaiboy.

All of the HD bonsai were soaked when I got them, so I didn't water them. The fukien tea dropped 1/2 its leaves but now has new growth. All are under fluorescent or a cfl bulb, except the juniper, which is outside. Should I also get a humidifier? If so warm mist or cool mist?

Also the HD plants are in large 6" plastic pots & when I take of the removable bottom of the pot I can see the roots. Is it OK to leave them is these pots until spring?

Thanks for any help!

https://web.mail.comcast.net/service/home/~/CAM00026.jpg?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=97227&part=2

https://web.mail.comcast.net/service/home/~/CAM00026.jpg?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=97226&part=2

manofthetrees

your indoor stuff can be repotted the juni will have to wait till spring .the f tea had a normal reaction to its new environment if its pushing new buds your good .misting can be done daily with room temp water no humidifier needed.
for the ficus and f tea a tray of water and pebbles underneath ,as long as the pot is not in the water, will provide enough humidity if the indoor air gets dry over winter. the palms can do without it

paulad449
Newly Registered

Thanks for the info. Someone gave me all of the home depot plants because they didn't want all of the work to keep them alive. So I'm having a go at it!

One more question - most of the pots are about 3" deep. All I see online is 2.25" - 2.5" deep pots. Should I lightly trim the roots to fit into the slightly more shallow pot?

I'm new to bonsai plants so sorry for all of the questions but thanks for any further help!

manofthetrees

I'm almost positive the root systems on these are not that large. you should have no problems repotting the f tea and ficus into smaller pots ,but if you need to cut the thicker roots and leave as much of the fine roots as you can.

I wish I had people to give me plants ...LOL like I don't have enough already.also no need to be sorry for questions thats what we're hear for :wink:

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”