jkelso123

Salinity and bonsai

So my tree is starting to come back to life, but a family member of mine says the salinity needs to be in check. Please and thanks.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

This seems like not nearly enough information. Was this post supposed to be attached to something else? What kind of tree? What happened to it? What did you do to "bring it back to life"? Is there a question here?

Salt build up in the soil from the fertilizers, usually would only happen if you are fertilizing a tree that is dormant/ not actively growing. The rest of the time the tree is taking up the nutrients and you are flushing out the rest by watering. If you worry about salt build up just flush the soil occasionally - that is run water through so it drains out.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Kelso,

I assume that this is in regard to this thread/tree since that is your only other topic/thread.

https://helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=271394&highlight=#271394

If so please copy your above post and re-post it there. If this is about something else please PM me and I'll unlock this thread so you can elaborate.

Norm

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

RBG,

Here is the tree in question, but it seems that this is more of a general question so I'll leave it. Thanks for your help here.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47839

jkelso123 wrote:
Yes its in regards to the same tree, but a different issue. A family member of mine says that I shouldnt just pour water straight on the soil and not to use tap water cause the Salinity level will build up and kill it.
I shouldnt just pour water straight on the soil
Why not?
not to use tap water cause the Salinity level will build up
Unless you have a water softener or some issue with your water I don't see why you should not use tap water, others do.

Norm
Last edited by Gnome on Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manofthetrees

chemical fertalizers can build up salts in the soil that can be detrimental...tap water is fine,but it is best to leave it sit for a day to evaporate the clorine

jkelso123

manofthetrees wrote:chemical fertalizers can build up salts in the soil that can be detrimental...tap water is fine,but it is best to leave it sit for a day to evaporate the clorine
I havent used any fertalizers yet and I do leave it to sit but the family member of mine says that because the tap water is so hard it will kill it. She even suggested that I water it with distilled water.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”