hope_full
Newly Registered

Went to a nursery today, need help choosing starter bonsai

Hey guys beginner here. Went to a nursery some saw cool trees I could see myself buying but I was hoping I could get some input on a couple things.

I was told ficus is a good tree to start out with so I made sure I checked them out. I found one with a really nice trunk but the leaves were really high up and about as big as my palm. Is that something I could work with? I belive the kind of ficus is ficus lyrata. I looked it up and they are known for their large leaves. I just wanted to know if anyone has had success dwaring the leaf size enough for it to be bonsai-able. Here is two pictures, the first one of the trunk and the second one from farther away where you can see the leaves. https://imgur.com/EDdPI and https://imgur.com/bf7kH

Then I saw some shrubs that I couldn't identify but was in the household plants section. The leaves were really dense and small and it already looked like a little forest. The trunk was a little thin but there were several trunks so it might be a good idea to buy so I could have several bonsai going at once. here is two pictures the first one of the trunk and then a farther away shot of the foliage. https://imgur.com/YCE3h and https://imgur.com/OTEa8

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

hope_full,

One of the first things to consider when choosing a tree for bonsai is the leaf size and how well it will, or will not, reduce. There are other Ficus species that are much more suitable, such as [url=https://www.bonsaihunk.us/info/ReductionBuilding.html]Willow Leaf Ficus.[/url]

The others may also be some sort of Ficus but with the pictures provided that is very much just an impression. The trunks are unremarkable, so be careful not to overspend. I once purchased a small pot of F. benjamina 'Mini Lucie' for under $10.00 that had three decent starters in it.

Welcome to the forum.

Norm

hope_full
Newly Registered

Norm,

Thanks for the tips and I'm glad I didn't buy these, both were 30 dollars each. I know prices should be getting reduced into september so I'll just keep window shopping for now :P

hope_full

JustLikeAmmy
Newly Registered

Have you considered seeds?

I bought a Juniper bonsai from a fair a couple weeks ago, and after learning about it's poor indoor prospects (I'm gunna try!) I've started attempting to germinate citrus trees (apple and orange!) from seeds I got from organic fruit.

It takes longer for it to be a 'tree' for sure, but it's more reliable and you have more control!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

JustLikeAmmy wrote:Have you considered seeds?

I bought a Juniper bonsai from a fair a couple weeks ago, and after learning about it's poor indoor prospects (I'm gunna try!) I've started attempting to germinate citrus trees (apple and orange!) from seeds I got from organic fruit.

It takes longer for it to be a 'tree' for sure, but it's more reliable and you have more control!
Apple and orange are not suited to indoor culture either.

Citrus is a tender tree and will have to be overwintered in a heated green house, or light-box.

JustLikeAmmy
Newly Registered

tomc wrote:
JustLikeAmmy wrote:Have you considered seeds?

Apple and orange are not suited to indoor culture either.

Citrus is a tender tree and will have to be overwintered in a heated green house, or light-box.
You keep saying this about trees to me in various threads but no matter what you say as far as I know no plant ANYWHERE is supposed to be indoors, so I still find it irrelevant. Thanks anyways, though! Probably going to give the apple seedling to my mum once it's more perky and find a real citrus tree for better luck :)

I want seasonal flowers <3. Smell so good.

As for the OP--you never specified indoor or outdoor, so either way--please consider seed germination it's great fun :)

webmaster
Site Admin

...so I still find it irrelevant.
You may find it irrelevant, and you are entitled to feel however you like, but in this case you are wrong. It is a fact that trees are best suited for outdoors, not indoors. Take a moment to read prior threads about sick trees and you'll see a pattern of newbs growing trees exclusively indoors.

Yes there are some plants that can be grown indoors but you are mistaken if you believe that most plants can be grown indoors. Most other plants are also best suited to growing indoors because of sunlight requirements. That is why avid indoor growers use hydroponic systems and container gardens are routinely planted on sun facing balconies.

ja-gardener

As a gardener in a Japanese garden who has taken bonsai courses with the great Ivan Watters (Chicago Botanic Garden Bonsai Curator), you would think I could keep my juniper bonsai alive. Well, too aggressive re potting and missing a watering or two in the summer, proved I couldn't.

But the Parrot’s Beak Bonsai Tree, scientific name Gmelina philippensis, has become my pride and joy bonsai. I forget to water and it wilts. It's OK, I water it and it comes back to life. Look into one, it might be a good choice for you.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nice suggestion! Tropical broadleaf evergreen sounds like the right kind of tree for indoor bonsai.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”