manofthetrees

hard prune question

howdy y'all,
I have a procumbens nana that I picked up at a garden nursery in spring. it has a great trunk and a good tail but all branches are waaaay to long. I wired it to seperate the branches,with a little styling in mind, to give the trunk and inner branches more light to bud out.

my question is when is the best time to start reducing the branches?

there has been heavy backbudding all over for over a month now. I would like to to reduce the branches slightly ( cutting branch leaders and pad reduction) to improve inner lighting.
is this ok mid summer under heavy growth conditions?

also when should heavy pruning be done? I want to eventually reduce most branches down to this years growth to start a restructuring

thanks,
keith

tomc
Super Green Thumb

The time to prune will be in the spring. Not August, in NY.

Take the time now to get the stuff you need for your junipers dormancy together.

if your having a real Martha Stewart moment rustle up next springs soil needs.

manofthetrees

thanks tom,
I have been doing alot of reading lately and have gotten a little confused with conifers .pinch buds at this time prune at this time exept with this or that species it has my head spinning.I just couldnt find a definate answer with junis. I guess ill just open it up a little more to give the new stuff as much light as possible

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I still wanna sell pinching buds as a spring and early summer job on juniper.

We, well at least I need to fiddle just about every morning, 'just a bit' with my trees.

This shoulda mostly wind down soonish. Time to get on other tree-baby chores.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”