cahl
Newly Registered

How to Hydrate a 22 Year Old Atlas Cedar Bonsai?

greetings. I'm not going to beat around the bush, my 22year old atlas cedar bonsai is a sook and has thrown the ultimate hissy fit and shed nearly all its needles and doing a fairly good impersonation of dying... I took it back to meet it's maker at the bonsai farm in hawthorn and lindsey said that it was dehydrated...anyways how do I rehydrate without putting into to much shock cause it still has buds on the branches...I'd also like to know of anyone else that has one of these sooky trees.

:?:

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Cahl,

Hello and welcome aboard. I'm surprised that your local adviser did not give you any recommendations. If it is in fact dehydrated make sure that you are thoroughly wetting the medium each time you water. You can also try to find a sheltered location for it until it recovers.

Here is a link that may help a bit. [url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Cedrus.html[/url]

Sorry I can't be of any more assistance with this species.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

cahl wrote:greetings. I'm not going to beat around the bush, my 22year old atlas cedar bonsai is a sook and has thrown the ultimate hissy fit and shed nearly all its needles and doing a fairly good impersonation of dying... I took it back to meet it's maker at the bonsai farm in hawthorn and lindsey said that it was dehydrated...anyways how do I rehydrate without putting into to much shock cause it still has buds on the branches...I'd also like to know of anyone else that has one of these sooky trees.

:?:
'Farr out' ;) :D
Cahl, Welcome.

I presume you mean Lindsey Farr, Good on ya.

[I enjoy his videos, Your quite lucky to be so close.]

What did Lindsey say to do? I presume you asked that question?

Keep it in a less sunny place than usual and make sure to maintain it's moisture [DON"T keep it soaking wet- Just insure it does not dry out {dehydrate}] People tend to overwater a dehydrated tree which only exacerbates the problem as the tree only uses what it needs and being overly wet for extended periods can cause it's own set of problems.

Do take advantage of LF' proximity and use it to your advantage. :D

ynot

cahl
Newly Registered

Lindsey is quite a nice guy... and he's huge, like really tall. I'm 6’2 but he towers over me...hands like a tree as well :D....he said that if I was a religious man, have a quiet prayer... its very disapointing that "tiny" might not make it, my girlfriend gave him to me for our 7th year anniversary....but on the flipside the mugo pine I bought from there is going great guns and people are always saying how tricky they are to keep alive....

cahl
Newly Registered

well, I don't know if this is good or bad but the tree has now lost all of its needles and is showing shrivelling in its branches but, the buds are looking sort of good ( budding at the crown ).... ? last rites or possible chance?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Cahl,
last rites or possible chance?
Well at this point you have nothing to lose, just cross your fingers and hope for the best. Since you're heading into winter soon just overwinter it and see what happens next year. Try to find a spot for it that allows for the required dormancy but not one that will put undue stress on it. Keep it from drying out but not overly wet either.

Norm

Marie1uk

Hi,

Did you recently root prune it? Cedar are very very fussy about root disturbance - I should know my Cedrus atl. glauca threw a hissy on me and shed all it's needles (and it's just bouncing back). If it's not due to root disturbance and due to dehydration I would submerge it and ensure the root ball is thoroughly wet, then use a wedge and prop the pot so that it drains fully, locate in a shady area and keep slightly moist (remember that the tree will need less water due to less transpiration taking place).

I sprayed my tree with an insecticide as it had scale insects hidden on some of the branches (now denuded) and a fungicide (scale attract mould due to secretions). I then removed any needles that were dead to improve air circulation / light when the new needles came out. The few needles that remained I kept by spraying with water twice daily and suspending it above a crate of water using old plant pots to increase local humidity (basically treating it like a huge cutting).

I would also (carefully) remove it from its pot and inspect the roots - look for nasties such as vine weevils, root aphids etc just to be on the safe side but don't do anything to the roots just yet. Replant into a good draining mix and pray.

Good luck!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”