bonsai_chicky

Bonsai Troubles, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

HI everyone, uh I have some seriously deep doo doo bonsai problems and I was wondering if u could help me!
here goes...
I got my mum a bonsai tree for her birthday about 2 months ago and we have followed the instructions perfectly. it said to keep it somewhere where you get morning light and not too much sun/shade, basically a happy medium . Anyway, we have followed all the feeding requirements, etc etc and all of a sudden the whole thing is like brown and doesn't look healthy at all. I'm worried for it because when I bought it, it wasn't like 6 years old or anything, it was fairly new and it looked beautiful, now it looks like we have completely mistreated it and let it die but we haven't and we REALLY want some help .
I have been looking around all different sites for answers and so far I couldn't find anything so I went to this forum and I am REALLY hoping it helps!
here are the piccies. and it is a LOT browner in real than these pics make it look, trust me.
WHAT CAN I DO????????? :!: :?:

bonsai_chicky

by the way, I'm new to this... how do u put pics on?? because without the pics you may not no how to help me.
lol, thanks

ynot
Greener Thumb

bonsai_chicky wrote:by the way, I'm new to this... how do u put pics on?? because without the pics you may not no how to help me.
lol, thanks
True, That is an excellent point that not everyone understands...lol. [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]Click here for info on how to post pictures on this forum[/url]
8)
ynot

bonsai_chicky

[img][url=https://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture072kp1.jpg][img]https://img206.imageshack.us/img206/8294/picture072kp1.th.jpg[/img][/url][/img]

bonsai_chicky

[img][url=https://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture073fi7.jpg][img]https://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7077/picture073fi7.th.jpg[/img][/url][/img]

bonsai_chicky

[img][url=https://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture075my5.jpg][img]https://img295.imageshack.us/img295/114/picture075my5.th.jpg[/img][/url][/img]

bonsai_chicky

does anyone think they can identfy it, I want to know what kind it it is.

Nbur
Newly Registered

just some things I have read around the forum that might be contributing to the problem (if there is one)...

I noticed you were from Queensland, I'm from Victoria and the sun in Australia is rather intense. I know with other plants (no experience with any bonsais yet) that anything that isn't indigenous to Australia takes a pounding by the sun, having said that it could still be getting too much sun light.

Also if the plant is in a mildly sunny place inside the house, that would equal almost no UV light as the window filters out almost all UV light.

With all the pebbles it may not be easy to test the soil, its possible that it is being under/over watered.

again I have no experience with Bonsais as of yet, but living in Australia I can lend a little experience with other plants.

bonsai_chicky

well thankyu very much I think u may be right but I actually want to know
wat to do about it.
I appreachiate (I cant spell that either) your help tho, thanks.

Nbur
Newly Registered

*shrug*

I have yet to come up with anything that looks nice and covers plants adequetly from the sun... with some of my plants I keep them on my lower deck (only about 3) because they get some light through the cracks of the upper deck. This allows them coverage during the day and they still get a decent amount of morning/evening light when the light isn't as intense.

The watering thing I cant really say much though because I don't own a bonsai yet =(

bonsai_chicky

that sounds nice, thanks for ur help

ynot
Greener Thumb

bc,

Ok, First things first.

Lets check for signs of life:

In an unobtrusive spot using your thumbnail, Give that tree a small scratch. [down to the cambium layer which is just below the bark]
If you see a pale green color it still has life inside, Any other color IE: Tan or Brown means you have an ex-tree.
Sorry, But it does not look good IMO :(

Judging by the picture it looks to be a very dead juniper and unfortunately by the time a juniper is turning brown it has usually been dead for a considerable amount of time as they can retain their green color for weeks after their demise. [I would be happy to be wrong about this...]

If you do find life... I have several questions:

Did you repot this at all? Is the soil I see consistent throughout the pot? Or is that a top dressing?

Why is it in a water pot? [The opposite side of these pots usually contain water.]

Let me know about the scratch test results and if it is no more we can discuss what went wrong and other possibilities for your mums next tree.
[You don't want to give up just yet do you? :D..8) ]

It may not be soon enough tonight for you to catch the sunset at Kings Beach [ I have to run out in a bit] but we will still help you as best we can...

Let me know. [And don't forget to cruise the inspiration thread some more as there are literally hundreds of trees posted there. 8) ]

ynot

bonsai_chicky

hhm, maybe its the small amount of space I have for the roots to grow. but I havent had it very long so I doubt it needs more room already, bonsais don't grow quick do they? if that is the case, I am not looking forward to repotting it, I might need some help on that later. lol :oops:

bonsai_chicky

y, wats on tonight at kings beach and when????????????

bonsai_chicky

u said to find a WHAT spot to stractch my thumbnail to find signs of life?[/quote]

ynot
Greener Thumb

bonsai_chicky wrote:hhm, maybe its the small amount of space I have for the roots to grow. but I havent had it very long so I doubt it needs more room already, bonsais don't grow quick do they? if that is the case, I am not looking forward to repotting it, I might need some help on that later. lol :oops:
:?..I did not mention it needing repot, I have no idea where this comment comes from. ...

Kings beach was just a local reference as I have spent some time in OZ is all- It is not important in any way whatsoever.

Now the important part:
u said to find a WHAT spot to stractch my thumbnail to find signs of life?
unobtrusive...= not noticable {google it}
Pick a spot on the trunk [Actually pick several spots on branches and the trunk.] that is not too obvious as your going to be making a slight wound on the tree [Done properly you should just be able to fold the bark flap back but we are a bit beyond worrying about that.]

ynot
Last edited by ynot on Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

bonsai_chicky

ok we r gettin somewhere. I did the whole stratch it thing and the colour wasn't pale green nor was it brown. it was a white colour, it didnt look dead, it actually had some moisture so there could be hope yet :D
I don't actually no y its in a water pot, I think it is acually a bit too small 4 it. I'm now considering re-potting it so ill probs need ur advicxe on that, got any ideas? :P8)
should I keep watering it or should I give it a break until it shows some more greenness? I think I should give it a break but I am worried it will kill it completely.
what should I do ynot??????

bonsai_chicky

ynot
Greener Thumb

bonsai_chicky wrote:ok we r gettin somewhere. I did the whole stratch it thing and the colour wasn't pale green nor was it brown. it was a white colour, it didnt look dead, it actually had some moisture so there could be hope yet :D
Sorry to say...You have an ex-bonsai. My condolences :(
As to the moisture, If you go and check anyones woodpile you will find lots of cut very dead wood with plenty of moisture.
I don't actually no y its in a water pot, I think it is acually a bit too small 4 it. I'm now considering re-potting it so ill probs need ur advicxe on that, got any ideas? :P8)

should I keep watering it or should I give it a break until it shows some more greenness? I think I should give it a break but I am worried it will kill it completely.
...You can keep holding onto it if you like....but it is not going to get better. Can you tell me a bit about your watering habits because this guy dried out.
what should I do ynot??????
Research.. Then get another tree.:D.
Nbur wrote: I noticed you were from Queensland, I'm from Victoria and the sun in Australia is rather intense. I know with other plants (no experience with any bonsais yet) that anything that isn't indigenous to Australia takes a pounding by the sun, having said that it could still be getting too much sun light.
Quick correction: You are approaching this from the wrong angle.
You see, It is the lack of moisture that is the problem here.
Junipers love bright sun but like all trees they tend to die without adequate water. Look at the pictures and see the proof.
Also if the plant is in a mildly sunny place inside the house, that would equal almost no UV light as the window filters out almost all UV light.
Inside is absolutely not an appropriate location for a juniper, Was this kept inside? [I didn't get that impression..]
With all the pebbles it may not be easy to test the soil, its possible that it is being under/over watered.
I did ask about soil composition {Not that this is exactly the issue I was curious about as it is really not a factor unless those rocks are glued down which I suspect they are not.}

Do consider what actual proper bonsai 'soil' looks like:

Take a look at the soil from these forum members trees in the bonsai gallery:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/rjj/bonsai%20stuff/atcfb.jpg
https://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ficusbpandoraforestplan2iv.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/rjj/trident%20maple/a6.jpg
https://img183.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1025xf0.jpg
https://img87.imageshack.us/img87/3356/aug2006hy2.jpg
https://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01401zz6.jpg

Something to consider there..8)
Nbur wrote:again I have no experience with Bonsais as of yet, but living in Australia I can lend a little experience with other plants.
No offense Nbur but this strikes me as a pretty good reason to not give bonsai advice just yet as there are elements of their care that are different than usual container gardening.

ynot

bonsai_chicky

ynot said:
Can you tell me a bit about your watering habits because this guy dried out
so its......dead? :cry:

did you say it dried out? so I... didnt feed it enough or I fed it too much do u think??

I think the soil I had was fine, no the pebbles were not glued down, just a layer of pebbles then the soil. thanks for the pics of soil, I looked at them all and there was one that looked just like the soil I had.

I got that bonsai from a little stall in the shops and it came with that pot and that soil, aswel as instructions. we followed them as best we could but I guess that wasn't enough.

yer I think we might still try watering it daily just incase there is still some life and its just EXTREMO thirsty. as u can see I am not the kinda person to give up easily, especcially with plants that I love.

thankyou SO much for your help, you sure do know a LOT about bonsai trees, you have been great.

thanks again
bonsai_chicky xxoo

bonsai_chicky

PS. where can I go to get to a forum on cactus? I have a miniture cactus that died for a while (it was a cheap $2.50 one, lol) and we were gonna thro it out (thats probably y I don't give up too easy anymore) but its now thriving kinda. I just want to know what happened so it doesn't happen again.
thanks!

ynot
Greener Thumb

bonsai_chicky wrote: PS. where can I go to get to a forum on cactus? I have a miniture cactus that died for a while (it was a cheap $2.50 one, lol) and we were gonna thro it out (thats probably y I don't give up too easy anymore) but its now thriving kinda. I just want to know what happened so it doesn't happen again.
Sorry, I have no clue. Google it and I am sure you will get plenty of ideas. 8)

Can you tell me a bit about your watering habits because this guy dried out
so its......dead? :cry:
IMO- From here, with the information I am working with...Yep.
did you say it dried out? so I... didnt feed it enough or I fed it too much do u think??
It wasn't 'food' it was water- Or lack of it actually.

Bonsai very very very very rarely die of LACK of food...lol.
Watering mistakes are by far the most common cause of deaths [Especially amongst rookies-Don't take that the wrong way. Tree deaths are a large part of the learning curve. It has been famously said by John Naka ~ 'Dead trees are the tuition you pay for doing bonsai'.]
I think the soil I had was fine, no the pebbles were not glued down, just a layer of pebbles then the soil. thanks for the pics of soil, I looked at them all and there was one that looked just like the soil I had.
um.. Ok, If it had 'proper' soil like that it would require frequent waterings [especially in your hot climate and especially as your soil was not particularly moisture retentive by the sounds of it [Would need a better picture of the actual soil.]

This means your tree would need to be checked for moisture daily [at an absolute minimum]. Yes checked every single day and twice daily in summer [No kidding]. Did you do this? how often were you watering? were you completely saturating the soil at each required watering? [Which is when it is just moist.]
I got that bonsai from a little stall in the shops and it came with that pot and that soil, as well as instructions. we followed them as best we could but I guess that wasn't enough.
See the above questions and tell abit about the instructions, As you know... Watering IE: is not nearly as straightforward and simple as most would think.
yer I think we might still try watering it daily just in case there is still some life and its just EXTREMO thirsty. as u can see I am not the kinda person to give up easily, especcially with plants that I love.
Good on ya 8).

One note of caution is that 'watering every day' is not the way to go about it' ~ CHECK it every day and IF IT NEEDS water...then water it. [If it's dead as I suspect it won't use much at all actually, But do give it a go> :D]
thankyou SO much for your help, you sure do know a LOT about bonsai trees, you have been great.
Not really, I have just killed more trees than you is all ~ It comes with the territory :P ;) :lol: 8)

Read up a bunch on these two sites [And [This is KEY] - research others] and get more trees :D, They will help you out heaps:
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm
https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics.html
thanks again
Your welcome, glad I could help, Don't forget to read the rest of the inspiration thread :D.

later

ynot

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Moderators note: This exchange occurred in the bonsai gallery and has been move here for the sake of continuity.

BonsaiChicky wrote:

THIS IS TO YNOT

remember me????????
u said my bonsai was dead, remember????
I don't think it is, unfortunaly I cant show u pics coz camera is broken, but it is looking much better!!!!!

yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ynot replied:

bc,

Is the previous post supposed to be your version of 'Thank you for the help/info?' & Why is this in the gallery?

bonsai_chicky wrote:
remember me????????
..No, Why on earth would I?

bonsai_chicky wrote:
u said my bonsai was dead, remember????

No, I don't need to remember- I will quote it to you:

You said:bonsai chicky wrote:
so its......dead? Crying or Very sad

I then said. ynot wrote:

IMO- From here, with the information I am working with...Yep.

Those were MY EXACT WORDS:

Quote:
I don't think it is, unfortunaly I cant show u pics coz camera is broken, but it is looking much better!!!!!
yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pictures please, Yours can't be the only camera in town.

It's been a week, That's hardly time for it to be out of the woods. Be careful of doing the victory dance too early. A week is no time at all in bonsai.

I absolutely do not understand the point of your posting this in the gallery instead of simply continuing your previous thread.

Gnome I will find the thread this should have been posted into if you will move it there please.
It goes here.

Or delete it as it is [IMO] useless, Especially w/ no photo.

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”