JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Home Depot Browsing

Well I had a little time today, so I went to home depot, and I was a little disappointed, and a little impressed. There was a huge (and I mean huge) selection of boxwood stock. However, to my dismay I found no one gallon junipers (junipers procumbens nana was the one I was looking for, I believe that's the name for japanese juniper). I didn't get any boxwoods, since...well I didn't have time to properly look for one :( , and to be honest, I was looking for a juniper. I'll be going back in the near future (I'll need wood to build a bench, which I have neglected to draw designs for), and hopefully the'll be some juni's there. One thing worth noting is that they had two gallon boxwoods that were about 2 feets tall for $15 U.S. The trunks maybe 1" in diameter. Just thought it was pretty good value. And then, conversly, I looked inside, and they had of course, mallsai for the same $15, and well it's a little depressing that they can charge that much for them. :? Not quite sure why I posted this, just sort of venting/starting conversation. 8)

ynot
Greener Thumb

Joe,

Generally, The big-box stores always have tons of stuff like you mention for landscaping.
p.nanas don't only come in one gallon sizes do they?
Was there nothing suitable that had some size to it? [Often those offer more options anyway.]
Try Lowes, or any of the 'Marts' garden centers. Other garden enters, etc, If your set on a 1G.

Ps. Speaking of Boxwoods, How about updating your [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3148&highlight=kingsville]Kingsville Boxwood[/url] thread? Do you have before and after pictures of it's progress since August.

ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

p.nanas don't only come in one gallon sizes do they?
I don't believe so, but I didn't see any size.
Was there nothing suitable that had some size to it? [Often those offer more options anyway.]
Well as I said, I didn't have appropiate time to look, but I'm sure if I did I would find something among the huge selection.
Try Lowes, or any of the 'Marts' garden centers. Other garden enters, etc, If your set on a 1G.
I'm not set on one gallon, I just found it a bit odd they didn't have any nana's in that size, as they are relatively common.

Speaking of Boxwoods, How about updating your Kingsville Boxwood thread? Do you have before and after pictures of it's progress since August.
As for the boxwood, I like the shape it's in now. It hasn't changed much since august (it's been in dormancy for most of the time), but I'll post pics if you'd like (as soon as it stops raining :( we've had a nor'easter, and it's been raining for the past two days :? )

EDIT: I don't think I've posted pics on this site have I? :shock: Well I'll get on that then...my mistake :?

Joe

ynot
Greener Thumb

Joe,

Yeah you can't go bonsai hunting at nurseries on a time budget...lol.

LOL, Nanas are practically as common as the dirt they come in, [I should have used smilies for a 1G rhetorical question, My bad :lol:.]

It's early in the season is all, Most of the places around here don't have full rolling stock yet at all.

You never posted a picture of it at all, Did you take any when you got it?

Where did you order it from btw? {Or just post it on that thread}

ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Yeah you can't go bonsai hunting at nurseries on a time budget...lol.
True, but I had a little time, so I figured I'd see what was going on. Also, I remember you talking about 1 gallon ficus' with like a few trunks in the pot, I was keeping my eye out for those also. just wanted to see what was going on in the world of Home Depot 8)
It's early in the season is all, Most of the places around here don't have full rolling stock yet at all.
That's what I figured. Then again, they had enough boxwoods to keep you busy for a lifetime :wink:

You never posted a picture of it at all, Did you take any when you got it?
I did, but I lost my hard drive and the info on it in september of last year :evil:, along wiht pics, but I'll tyr to dig some up if I can (maybe on a random backup disc. I'll be sure to post new pics although once this nor'easter passes :?, should be nicer tomorrow :) ).

I got it from www.bonsaiofbrooklyn.com . I believed we've discussed this website in the past, although I'm not sure.

Joe

ynot
Greener Thumb

JoeLewko wrote: That's what I figured. Then again, they had enough boxwoods to keep you busy for a lifetime :wink:
No thanks, A few are worth a long term investment in time, Tons of them aren't though. :lol:

I did, but I lost my hard drive and the info on it in september of last year :evil:, along wiht pics, but I'll tyr to dig some up if I can (maybe on a random backup disc, or on bonsaitalk forum, or somewhere I may have uploaded. I'll be sure to post new pics although once this nor'easter passes :?, should be nicer tomorrow :) ).
It's not in any of your 7 posts on BT and [url=https://forum.bonsaitalk.com/search.php?searchid=497466]this thread[/url] is about your boxwood pruning over here.

I got it from www.bonsaiofbrooklyn.com . I believed we've discussed this website in the past, although I'm not sure.
Oh, yeah thats right... The less said the better IMO.

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”