Bhuntfl
Newly Registered

Juniper color is slowly yellowing - What can I do?

I think my tree is dieting. It's slowing yellowing. What can I do?

The Ficus Guy

We need a lot more info. How often are you watering? Where do you keep the tree? How often are you watering? How much sun does it get? Do you feed it? How wet is the soil staying?

Bhuntfl
Newly Registered

The Ficus Guy wrote:We need a lot more info. How often are you watering? Where do you keep the tree? How often are you watering? How much sun does it get? Do you feed it? How wet is the soil staying?
I'm in Fl. It's outside, but no direct sun. water whenever I feel the soil and it seems dry--about once per week. I fed it about a month ago with Miracle gro pellets.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

My trees are all outdoors in Ohio. I water in June-July-August on average of 2 X per day it does not rain.

I do use chop stick to test soil for moisture. (see stickies).

Unless you soil is unhealthily full of peat, your juniper died of deprivation.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Is it a juniper? Species is important here because you can see yellowing in a lot of species in the heat of the summer and it's sometimes only cosmetic. Once per week watering, though, in June, July, August, and September seems to me more like poor/inappropriate soil and mismanaged moisture/watering than anything else. IOW, if the soil ISN'T dry the following day, outside, in summer, and it hasn't been cold or rained, then the soil is not appropriate for keeping most bonsai.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”