ayolest
Newly Registered

ok I just got a chinese elm yesterday. I have been wanting one for ten years now after my last one dying ten years ago :(
anyway, so the problem is I REALLY REALLY don't want to take it outside because I know it definitely will get destroyed outside.. see I live in ireland and it gets very wet and cold out there.. and since the weathers have gone a bit weird recently I want to keep it indoors all times.. in some places it says its an indoor bonsai so would it be really bad for it if I DID keep it indoors all the time?? and also since my room is quite cool usually that it wont dry up too much...

ynot
Greener Thumb

ayolest wrote:

anyway, so the problem is I REALLY REALLY don't want to take it outside
because I know it definitely will get destroyed outside.. see I live in ireland and it gets very wet and cold out there.. and since the weathers have gone a bit weird recently I want to keep it indoors all times.
It's not really{x2} about what you want, It's about the tree.:P Was it being kept indoors or out before you got it?
Be careful what you 'know' {IE: Chinese elms are hardy to - 12C, Did you know that?} How wet and cold is it? It is absolutely possible to keep it indoors but it requires more dedicated care. [Lighting, Humidity ect]
[url=https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Ulmus.html]This care sheet[/url] Will tell you a bit about Ulmus.
in some places it says its an indoor bonsai so would it be really bad for it if I DID keep it indoors all the time?? and also since my room is quite cool usually that it wont dry up too much...
All trees are outdoor trees and will be happier and survive longer if they spend as much time there as possible. If you insist on bringing it inside for the winter do take note that it is about more than simply temps as I noted before.

Again trees really are happier outside- It's where they all naturally live. Armed with enough research and knowledge you will be able to provide a happy winter home indoors for your new charge.

Read up & good luck

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”