ddalcu
Newly Registered

Chinese elms problem

Hi all!

Every year I have problems with my elms... In the spring they grow very, very well, but in the summer a lot of leafs (1/3 of them) are yellowing and fall... The soil is not a problem, it is very well drained (Walter Pall recipe :) ). I usually keep them outside on my window sill all year long, also in winter when temperatures drop down to -20C here in Romania. The big problem is in summer when my window sill is in full sun and the temperature goes well above 40C. This year I moved the trees on my balcony where they are not in full sun, but the temperature here also reaches 40C and the humidity is very low... Could this very high temperature be the cause of the falling leafs in summer? I was thinking to bring the trees inside on the window sill where they will have a couple of hours of full sun, but the temperature will not be that high. Could this be a solution?

Thanks!

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I'd be loathe to recommend bring elms inside. Is there any way that you can provide shade for them on the balcony with some extra watering and maybe misting? When temperatures get that hot (over 100ºF for those needing the conversion), I usually have to water thoroughly at least twice per day. If your soil is drying rapidly as mine does in that kind of heat, I think increasing watering is a better solution.

ddalcu
Newly Registered

On the balcony the trees are in shade, no direct sun, but as I said, the temperature is very high... Do you think that watering them more often will solve the problem?

The Ficus Guy

I'd say watering more would help. Whatever you do, don't ever bring the elms indoors.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Misting will help to cool them through evaporative cooling. And yes, if they need more water because of the heat (which should be the case), watering more will help.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

have you been feeding them? Mine stay outdoors all year round and they're doing good in this 100 degree weather.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”