anindita
Newly Registered

bougnvillea not budding yet...any help please...

the bougainvillea I bought last month is apparently propagated from cutting.it was in a plastic bag so I repotted it in a new pot.but since then it has lost almost all of its leaves .is it going to die?the stems are green yet.I kept it in shade.what to do.??please help..

TomM
Greener Thumb

Let's start out with patience. A lot of time and patience is needed. Your bougainvillea, like any other plant material used for bonsai, has to adapt to it's new home. This can take many seasons. It will sometimes drop all it's leaves and 'play dead' for awhile. New buds should then form as it wakes up and begins a new cycle of growth.

Over the past 6-8 years my two have fooled me into thinking they were dying but each time they came back better than before. It can be very frustrating at times but the rewards are so beautiful.

Making bonsai from them takes a lot of time - patience. And once they begin growing they like plenty of fertilizer, more than any of my other bonsai. I also give my 'bougies' a half day of full sun.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

IME, Bougies are FAR worse than Ficus with leaf drop when moved. I sent mine back down to Florida.

TomM
Greener Thumb

For those who have difficulties with bougainvillea I want to show one of my two. We just concluded a club exhibit at the local Arts Festival sponsored by the Munson-Williams-Proctor-Arts Institute in Utica. The link will lead you to a photo gallery if you click on the deliciously cherry red bougie that cooperated nicely just in time for this show.

Enjoy - https://www.mvbonsai.com/

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

That's your bouganvillea on the Living Art poster/flyer tom? Gorgeous!!!

TomM
Greener Thumb

Yes - my baby, and this is grown here in zone 4 upstate New York. Have had it for 5 years. I have another, a pink pixie, which flowers in Fall.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”