manofthetrees

material search

howdy all,
I am in search of a picea jezoensis (ezo/jezo spruce) not bonsai but 3 to 5 year stock I have searched online and only found seeds and the local nurseries don't carry them. any info will be appriciated. I am in western New York and am willing to travel some distance for this material. don't really need much persuation to go for a long drive :wink:
thanks,
keith

TomM
Greener Thumb

Dude, if you find some nice ezos at a reasonable price and can pick up a few extras let me know. I could drive out to West Seneca for such a worthy cause.
You must have been reading Saburo Kato's book too!
Forest, Rock Planting & Ezo Spruce Bonsai
Tom

manofthetrees

nope my father bought it tho so once hes done... ive been wanting one for a while and saw some at the rochester show that resparked my interest. in my opinion they are the best looking conifers out there ,plus I'm iching for a new tree. the 30+ trees I have arnt keeping me busy enough :lol:

tomc
Super Green Thumb

manofthetrees wrote:howdy all,
I am in search of a picea jezoensis (ezo/jezo spruce)
Sometime Brent Walston (evergreengardenworks) has small ones.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Great guy, Brent. I just got some exceptional Flowering (Japanese) Quince specimens from him (he still has them and others up on his deciduous specimens page) and an awesome corkbark elm. I don't know how his spruce look, specifically, but others rave about his conifers and deciduous trees in general. Drop him an email and tell him what you're looking for if you don't see it listed. He's a really nice and friendly guy who will do his best to get you what you want at the price you want (within reason of course).

manofthetrees

omg these are hard to find and I have run into another problem ...there are alot of jezo cultivators out there I have found 'landis' and yosawa' in michigan @ gee farms 40$ for 1# 45$ for a 3# + shipping .yosawa is a very unatractive color and I can not find photos of the landis .there is one called 'aurea' that is a fantastic bright green dwarf but no luck finding it or just a plain jezo for sale . any chance sauro mentions any cultivators in that book of yours tomM

TomM
Greener Thumb

Near the end of the book there is mention of "Yatsubusa" or dwarf cultivars with "small foliage, close internodes, hard wood and the ability to grow numerous vegetative buds, usually in one area."..... "extremely rare". Nothing more.

Keep in mind that this was written (in Japanese) in 1963 and was translated in English and then edited and compiled in 2001 by Bill Valavanis. Your search should include an e-mail to him at -
wnv@internationalbonsai.com

manofthetrees

cool thats what I needed .I have seen pics of "yatsubusa" very nice green with purple cones ...the search narrows :wink: will be looking for the "aurea".I have delt with a nursey out in california called lotus bonsai.their website is not really used anymore but she imports from japan so ill have to shoot her an email. wouldnt hurt and a bulk deal may get us a good price. she owes me a favor anyway :wink:

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”