madonnaswimmer

Newbie questions

#1: How do you wire and bend branches without just snapping them?

#2: How do you stress the tree to get it to scar/produce more wood?

#3: How do you get a tree to have the root-over-rock look (I'm assuming it's a gradual process, but how do you do it?)

#4: How do you maintain moss at the bottom of a tree? It seems like mosses love shade and lots of water whereas bonsai trees like lots of drainage and lots of light...?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

1. Wiring is part of the art of bonsai, it's something you learn how to do with practice. Some have a natural aptitude, others don't. Different species are more or less brittle than others. Wire gauge is also important, and something wiring isn't even the answer.

2. Bark comes with age. You can scar a tree to create wounds, but not bark, although is can *look* rougher/more bark-like.

3. Buy the right tree, longer younger, more flexible roots, no tap root, wrap it around a rock and plant for two years or more.

4. Moss crops up, or can be seeded (moss spores). Like trees, the moss species should be appropriate to the climate kept. All of my pots usually develop moss over time. I don't do anything special to encourage it, but some I do seed with collected mosses. Look for shallow rooted mosses (those growing on rocks, tree bark or gravel) that are already growing in at least part sun. Tae a small piece and press it into the soil Nothing more to it than that. If it takes, it takes. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

madonnaswimmer

Thanks, kdodds! You have been a wealth of knowledge. I just bought 4 bonsai books (off the recommendations in the book section) to learn more. Can't wait until they get here!

Also, thanks for the recommendation on my other post about the literati. I think that's how I will go, seeing as how I am limited on space right now.

Again, thanks a ton!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

madonnaswimmer wrote:
#3: How do you get a tree to have the root-over-rock look (I'm assuming it's a gradual process, but how do you do it?)
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18867

SvetSad

this is another one that I like

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20201[/url]

tomc
Super Green Thumb

madonnaswimmer wrote:#1: How do you wire and bend branches without just snapping them?
Some trees are brittle! And may not be good candidates for wiring or bending.
#2: How do you stress the tree to get it to scar/produce more wood?
Allow your tree to grow more and lower branches. Support those sacrifice branches (if needed) and let them grow, for decades if needed.

Wash off soil comb roots flat on your new rock ant tie them flat with twine or jute. Pot the whole rock in a training pot big enough to fully contain rock and root mass. Fill pot with bonsai soil.. Expect to comb away some soil and re-tie root mass to rock in up coming years.

On average it makes me six to ten years to get a root structure I think adaquate to my needs.
#4: How do you maintain moss at the bottom of a tree? It seems like mosses love shade and lots of water whereas bonsai trees like lots of drainage and lots of light...?
When its time for display and judging, say at your next state fair, then you can add some sheets of moss. Moss interferes with watering. This is rather like haveing freckles tatooed on...

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”