esl
Newly Registered

Chinese Elm Bonsai HELP NEEDED

Hi,

I purchased a Chinese Elm Bonsai a few months ago, and to say it is not doing well would be an understatement. It did well at first, but then lost all of its leaves and now is growing new branches in two spots and the rest of the tree appears dead. Any thoughts? Thanks.

[img]https://elan.websitewelcome.com/~bonsai/IMAG0360.jpg[/img]

lucenda
Cool Member

Looks very wet! Try the chopstick methode. Keep it outside.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Elm + indoors = dead elm. The soil needs to dry out between waterings as well, and should be more appropriate to keeping bonsai (les organics, less moisture retention, more free draining.

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

Yes like kdodds said, elm + indoors = dead. I kept mine indoors for like 2 weeks and it looked almost exactly like that. All I did was move it outside & watered like usual and BAM, back to life. But now it's in the ground & growing like a weed ! I should post a picture soon 'cause it has grown out so much, the branching is starting to become more compacted. Something I recommend (:

TomM
Greener Thumb

They will die indoors!

Daily watering or twice a day seems excessive.

Over watering can cause root rot.

Moving it around to hide it from your cat can be a problem. They like to settle in to a spot of their own and acclimate.

Any one of the above situations could cause the leaves to drop off.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Agree with TomM. Excessive watering can lead to root rot, which, ironically, leads to the tree not getting enough water. On the cat thing... train the cat, not the tree. BTDT, all cats can be trained to behave appropriately as long as their owners are willing to train them.

christy14
Newly Registered

:) thank you very much!
sorry I'm kinda new here... I don't really get u adults :P
joking ure the best ever ever ever ...

so is the advice....get rid of the plant, or the cat...ok the cat goes.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Please continue discussion re. christy14's bonsai elm [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46251]here[/url].

This thread was originally begun by esl; let's leave the mental "space" available for esl to ask further questions if needed. Thank you for understanding! :)

Cynthia H.
/moderator/

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

the mix seems compacted. move it outside. Let it dry up and water well

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”