constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

well I think you may want to reconsider that. Have you taken a look at the roots yet? My guess is its root bound and if you are going to remove a lot of foliage and branches then you should deffinantly remove some roots. I cant tell how much or how you should do it because I haven't seen the roots and I don't have the tree in person but I'm sure something should be done with them. Nursery stock is almost always rootbound and if you plan to pot it int a similar sized pot then the roots need somewhere to go.

Take the tree out of the pot and post a pic of them.

Tom

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

constantstaticx3 wrote:well I think you may want to reconsider that. Have you taken a look at the roots yet? My guess is its root bound and if you are going to remove a lot of foliage and branches then you should deffinantly remove some roots. I cant tell how much or how you should do it because I haven't seen the roots and I don't have the tree in person but I'm sure something should be done with them. Nursery stock is almost always rootbound and if you plan to pot it int a similar sized pot then the roots need somewhere to go.

Tom
ok look for that tomorrow, I didn't take my boxwood in, and it's pouring rain outside. If it lets up, maybe I'll take one today.

ynot
Greener Thumb

Tom wrote:Nursery stock is almost always rootbound and if you plan to pot it int a similar sized pot then the roots need somewhere to go.

Joe,

Yes pictures please :)

I agree with Tom here wrt it being rootbound. I think you would find it very difficult to remove the current soil [And subsequently replace w/ bonsai soil] w/o some root pruning.
This would eventually cause some issues as there will be different levels of water retention between the two potting media.

Your going to find a lot of thick storage roots going straight down [Or circling etc...] in that pot and those need to go. Try to retain all the feeders you can though.

BTW- Remember to pick your best front according to your nebari [Though consider the potential branching options, & Trunk movement also] when you get around to pruning.

ynot

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

I plan on buying one of these tommorow also for a styling contest on Bonsai Chat thats coming up. You gave me the idea through this thread. I was having a tough time finding a tree that I wanted to work on and I don't have a box so I'm gonna go for it, they're cheap too :D . I'll post pics in the gallery of my process.

Tom

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

constantstaticx3 wrote:I plan on buying one of these tommorow also for a styling contest on Bonsai Chat thats coming up. You gave me the idea through this thread. I was having a tough time finding a tree that I wanted to work on and I don't have a box so I'm gonna go for it, they're cheap too :D . I'll post pics in the gallery of my process.

Tom
nice 8) personally I like boxwoods, and yes they are cheap for a reasonably large stock. I'm interested to see the pics, and the differences/similarities with how we create our trees.

speaking of which, I'm going to admit, I've been thinkign about this all day, and I can't seem to think of a style for this tree. does anyone have any ideas to brainstorm. Ynot I remember you had a boxwood form stock that won a contest (am I remembering correctly), can you post pics of that? it would really be helpful. I was thinking upright style, but that's as far as I've gotten. I'll continue to contemplate this, but any ideas are appreciated.

Joe

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

I know exactly what tree your thinking about and yes that is a very impressive tree by ynot and I really like it.

It's hard to tell what style it can be made into because I don't know what the branching looks like, but by the way the trunk looks your best be is some form of upright. Again I cant really tell for sure, its up to you and what you want.

Tom

ynot
Greener Thumb

I agree about Boxwoods. :)

My boxwood is onsite already: [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3379&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0]See here[/url] Scroll down a bit. :)

Tom is absolutely right in that you can't really 'pick a style' w/o being able to check it out.

It really doesn't work that way anyway, You have to check out what the possibilities are within the parameters of what you have to work with.

As Naka {I think} said "See the tree within". Don't be put off if the branches aren't exactly what you want, You can cut them off [or partially] and make it how you want it. Bonsai is a process, not a destination.

Naka did say "If you have a problem, Cut it off. If you still have a problem, You have a problem."... lol
I know exactly what tree your thinking about and yes that is a very impressive tree by ynot and I really like it.
Thanks Tom :D [It was $13 from Lowes btw :D ]

ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

thank you for the link ynot, it was very helpful. I think I will go into this tomorrow, and see what happens. I do know a few things though.

1) this tree needs to be thinned out

2) Upright is probably the way to go

3) This will be a learning experience, as always

look for pics/updates

Joe

ynot
Greener Thumb

Joe,

Your welcome,

Yep, Some version of upright, Yep, And yep

I look forward to seeing what you get up to.

Good luck

ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Thanks, I look foward to working with this tree.

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

I actually just bought a boxwood tonight and I am going to style it tommorow. It took me a good half hour at home depot to find a suitable tree, I was very picky. I got one for $6 and I sacrificed good branching which can be fixed over time for a good nabari, it was the only one with nabari that I could find. I'll post a pictorial in the gallery hopefully tommorow when I get the time.

Tom

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

constantstaticx3 wrote:I actually just bought a boxwood tonight and I am going to style it tommorow. It took me a good half hour at home depot to find a suitable tree, I was very picky. I got one for $6 and I sacrificed good branching which can be fixed over time for a good nabari, it was the only one with nabari that I could find. I'll post a pictorial in the gallery hopefully tommorow when I get the time.

Tom
haha I took about 20 minutes myself at home depot. Seems like tomorrow's boxwood day. I think the one I got had the best nebari that I saw, as well as good branches, so all in all, I think it was $6 well spent on both our parts. :)

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

almost done with styling...in the mean time, here's a few pics of the roots I took before I started wiring/pruning.

As tom said guess, the tree is rootbound, so I will have to do soem root pruning.

[img]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/joelewko/boxwood002.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/joelewko/boxwood004.jpg[/img]

More pics to come later
Joe

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Ok those roots don't look too bad. Take a hose to them and remove a lot of the soil so you can really see them all. Then post another pic, I'm no sure how you feel on root pruning so I'll try and tell you how much to remove. I cant wait to see how you've styled it :D.

Tom

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

yeah I'm not that comfortable with root pruning, I don't want to kill this tree. Here's some pics of the it styled. I snapped a branch in the front (front being the view from the first pic), and that was going to be like a main branch that gave the tree some movement so I had to compensate for the 'flatness' of the tree by bending some of the other branches foward (that's why there's so much wiring). Plus, I got a little wire/scissor happy. This tree is far form done, but I think I have the basic branch structure I will use. Please give me critisism/thoughts, and don't be afraid to be harsh :wink:

[img]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/joelewko/boxwood008.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/joelewko/boxwood009.jpg[/img]

I have to go out for a while, but I'll re-pot it later, and post those pics before I rootprune. So check back in about 2-3 hours.

ynot
Greener Thumb

Joe,

I am curious why you would fight with trying to wire some already lignified boxwood branches when you could have just cut them back and as they grew out wired them exactly where you want them.

This would also provide some additional ramification as opposed to this sort of fence of long straight branches you have going on there.

Something along the lines of this:
Actually I forgot to remove that #1 RH branch...But I would have.

[url=https://imageshack.us][img]https://img65.imageshack.us/img65/2872/boxwood009virt1ww3.jpg[/img][/url]

Or even lower:

[url=https://imageshack.us][img]https://img108.imageshack.us/img108/5706/boxwood009virt2nv2.jpg[/img][/url]

Which way is the wiring holding the branches? up, or out or what?

You may want to visit the wiring article on bonsai4me and [url=https://www.bonsaikc.com/wiring2.htm]read this.[/url]

Then get some practice in too...:P ;)
...but I'll re-pot it later, and post those pics before I rootprune.
er :? ...What?

ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

tom wanted to see the pics of the root system before I repotted it, (without all the dirt) which is what I meant. Sorry bout that.

I really didn't have to fight to wire them, they look stiffer than they actually are, they were quite bendable, but I see what you're saying.

I ahev already read the article on bonsai4me, and I ahve started reading the other one, but I don't ahve time to finish it now, I'll finish it tonight.

Thanks for the input,
Joe

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Alright, so here are two pics of the root system. As far as dirt removal, that's the ebst I cna do for now, maybe after I root prune, I can get the rest out. so, ideas on how much of the root system I should remove? Oh, and I got really excited to see the nebari potential is even better than I thought (see first pic).
:D

[img]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/joelewko/boxwood011.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/joelewko/boxwood012.jpg[/img]

ynot
Greener Thumb

JoeLewko wrote:Alright, so here are two pics of the root system. As far as dirt removal, that's the ebst I cna do for now, maybe after I root prune, I can get the rest out. so, ideas on how much of the root system I should remove? Oh, and I got really excited to see the nebari potential is even better than I thought (see first pic).
Understood about your previous post :)

Nice root system, :D

Keep it misted- Or if your going to be a while just set it in a bucket of tepid water.

I take it you cut a bunch of roots off already, Directly under the trunk there are no big storage roots right?

Do consider placement of something appropriate underneath it to promote lateral root growth as per the sticky. :)

Looking good so far man 8) [I'd still chop the top back farther though, To only leaving three or four leaves on each branch.] - But thats me. ;)..

ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

actually, I haven't cut anything, but I will get rid of the storage roots, and I'm thinking of cutting the lower portion of the root system. I will find somethign to put underneath, I was just lookign at that sticky (you posted a link tot he person with the cypress). I plan to finish this today, probably now, so I'll go and do that, and post the rest of the pics later/ (I think I'll just post a whole series in the gallery section)

Joe

ynot
Greener Thumb

JoeLewko wrote:actually, I haven't cut anything, but I will get rid of the storage roots, and I'm thinking of cutting the lower portion of the root system. I will find somethign to put underneath, I was just lookign at that sticky (you posted a link tot he person with the cypress). I plan to finish this today, probably now, so I'll go and do that, and post the rest of the pics later/ (I think I'll just post a whole series in the gallery section)

Joe
IMO, You could take up to the bottom third or so [As this {Or even a slight trim } will promote further division of the root system and you won't be messing with the roots for a while again].

But considering the size of the pot you have [After all, Your not fighting for room] there is no sense in overly stressing the tree. So again the less stress the better.

Your call.

Do eliminate the thick storage roots though. You are keeping the root system moist/wet right?

Looks good so far [Chop the top :P ;) ]

ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

I think I took off too much, but you can help me judge that when I post the pic series in a few mins. If so, I guess I'll have to remove some more foliage.

ynot
Greener Thumb

From your gallery thread wrote: but I want to remove some finer roots that are near the surface and the larger nebari tomorrow,
Joe,

The feeders around the surface and nebari are what is making them thicken [The basal portion of the trunk and nebari that is] Why remove them when you have lots of growing time [For the top] left before you need to worry about 'cleaning it up'.

Personally, I would leave them to grow on.
I really didn't have to fight to wire them, they look stiffer than they actually are, they were quite bendable, but I see what you're saying.
Then lets see some curves and movement. :D, You have a fence.

RE: Wiring... It would be much more effective if your wiring was at a 45 degree angle. Better yet if you were wiring new shoots as you would have far more flexibility. I am sure you already know about the crossed wiring.

Looks like you have had a fun day so far :D

ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

yes, it has been fun. Would have been more ufn if the wind didn't kick up later in the day. I couldn't feel my hands when I finally fnished. :lol:

Right now photobucket isn't working, but as soon as I can upload pics, I'll post them on the thread I started in the gallery section

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

I agree with ynot, the branches need to be cut way back and I would even cut off some of the branches, it seems like its just a straight line of branches and its not visualy appealing. Don't be affraid to cut it back hard.

The roots look really great. Just a little trim is all you really need.

I was that bad if not worse at wiring when I first started so your not alone, practice makes perfect. You could find a few dead branches in your backyard to practice on.

I may get to my tree today if not tommorow. If you don't fell comfortable about cutting it back really hard just wait until I post my pics and you'll feel better.

Good work so far.

Tom

ynot
Greener Thumb

constantstaticx3 wrote: I was that bad if not worse at wiring when I first started so your not alone, practice makes perfect. You could find a few dead branches in your backyard to practice on.
:lol:, Me too! & Practice does make...improvement..;)
I may get to my tree today if not tommorow. If you don't fell comfortable about cutting it back really hard just wait until I post my pics and you'll feel better.
Show him the way Tom. :twisted: 8) :D

ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

yeah I'll wait for your pics tomorrow, and maybe I'll do some more work. Look for the rest of the pic series on the htread in the gallery area

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Practice does make...improvement.. :wink:
Good point, no one is really ever perfect, they are just really super incredible at it :D .

Tom

ynot
Greener Thumb

constantstaticx3 wrote:
Practice does make...improvement.. :wink:
Good point, no one is really ever perfect, they are just really super incredible at it :D .
Tom
No doubt, I would die of old age trying to [Successfully, without error :shock::P:roll:] wire that way :lol:, And I am not old at all.

Lucky for me I am not a person who cares really if my wiring is drop dead gorgeous :twisted: [I don't show my trees so..:shrug:].

I do want it to be effective though, Which was my point to Joe. [No point otherwise ya know?]

Keep practicing :D

ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

although it may look horrible, it is holding in the position I initially wired it in, and that's what's important right? Assuming I left this tree as is, I was thinking of forming like a canopy, something liks this

[img]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/joelewko/boxwoodvitr.jpg[/img]

please excuse my very crude drawing, I think you get the idea, but do you think that can be done? I would have to stop growth at the top, (not let it get taller), thin out the bottom, and prune at the actual canopy, to get more new growth and make it more dense. Thoughts?
Also, both Tom and ynot, please look at the gallery I posted
(https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4608)I want to hear both of your opinions on whether or not I rootpruned too much. also, how long do you think the wire should stay on? I know it depends, and can range, but knowing ynot that you have experience with boxwoods, what seems to be the norm?
Thanks
Joe

ynot
Greener Thumb

JoeLewko wrote:although it may look horrible, it is holding in the position I initially wired it in, and that's what's important right?
Yep.
please excuse my very crude drawing, I think you get the idea, but do you think that can be done?

I would have to stop growth at the top, (not let it get taller), thin out the bottom, and prune at the actual canopy, to get more new growth and make it more dense. Thoughts?
If I understand you correctly you want to eliminate the growth along the branches & have it just spread out at the very tips of the branches... Yet not get any taller.

I think were you to succeed you will end up with a canopy on top of the current fence.

If you look at the scale of your virt [not bad man, No worries] You will see that it has a powerful trunk that does well to lead the eye to the canopy.
However, Your actual tree has far more branch than trunk as it currently sits. Also the thicker branches of your virt are not going to happen either if you :
"I would have to stop growth at the top, (not let it get taller), thin out the bottom"

This is contrary to the principles of growth.

I don't think the oncoming growth will work quite like your understanding of it. In order for it to ramify it is going to get taller [Which is why it was suggested to chop much farther.]

It would look much more powerful as a smaller tree IMO anyway [Not as stretched out and sparse]

An ultra quick virt- The canopy could be bigger [And sitting a bit lower] but I was rushing. Also it is disappointingly symmetrical :( :evil:

[url=https://imageshack.us][img]https://img222.imageshack.us/img222/7429/boxwood015dn4.jpg[/img][/url]
I want to hear both of your opinions on whether or not I rootpruned too much.
I think your fine.
I have a question about the pot size, You had said that new one was nearly the same size, Is that the case?

It looks to be in a far smaller pot but it could be the angle of the pic. [This will slow down it's training if so.]
also, how long do you think the wire should stay on? I know it depends, and can range, but knowing ynot that you have experience with boxwoods, what seems to be the norm?
You already said the answer, Still too many other variables, IE: Branch size, Branch age, Degree of bend, Species, etc.. I would wait a minimum of 2 months before even checking it unless you notice the wire starting to bite [And if it is not biting by then I would let it ride- Actually I doubt this will bite].

ynot
Last edited by ynot on Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

I think you're right about it being a smaller tree, and if I have a chance tomorrow, I'll do some work on it. I just feel I'm cutting too much and stressing the tree, but you're right, your virt looks better than if I left it at its current height. Plus, with this growing season still ahead, I cna probably thicken up the canopy really well before the winter.

About the pot, yeah it is the angle, it's a bit shallower than the pot the boxwood came in, but it's the same width.

There's a virt I did, that I want to discuss, but I'll post it later, photobucket isn't uploading for some reason right now.

ynot
Greener Thumb

JoeLewko wrote:I think you're right about it being a smaller tree, and if I have a chance tomorrow, I'll do some work on it. I just feel I'm cutting too much and stressing the tree,
That's a common feeling when starting out Joe. It is you that it is stressing out though not the tree.:P ;)
but you're right, your virt looks better than if I left it at its current height. Plus, with this growing season still ahead, I cna probably thicken up the canopy really well before the winter.
We will see how you do :). You will be on the path though.
About the pot, yeah it is the angle, it's a bit shallower than the pot the boxwood came in, but it's the same width.
Ok, Thanks.
There's a virt I did, that I want to discuss, but I'll post it later, photobucket isn't uploading for some reason right now.
Try imageshack I use them for this site all the time w/ no problems.

ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

imageshack is not working for me either right now :evil: I'm trying a variety of websites, I really want to get this pic uploaded tonight...

EDIT

Ok so it finally worked, and if you look closely at the red circled area, you'll see I accidentally snapped a branch, but left the wire intact, because I still want the branch. What if I cut the other branches tot hat one's height, and the new height of the tree would be the blue line. Or should I chop even lower?

[img]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/joelewko/boxwood007-1.jpg[/img]

ynot
Greener Thumb

Joe,

I would go at least that far, If it were me, I would take the branches [That I want to keep & I wouldn't keep them all] and chop them just above their third or fourth leaf.

That's counting from the trunk btw.

ynot

ynot
Greener Thumb

As tom said guess, the tree is rootbound, so I will have to do soem root pruning.
I don't think Tom said quite that actually.

Just a note: This is not root bound to any substantial degree at all. Look at all the soil left to be colonized by the roots.
[img]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/joelewko/boxwood002.jpg[/img]
However, This is.

[img]https://img329.imageshack.us/img329/6239/rootboundtc4.jpg[/img]

Actually in comparing the size of the roots in the first picture w/ the [pre-pruned ] root mass shown after, It looks as though you lost quite a bit of roots while removing the soil. [I mentioned this to you before to during that 'non-maple' repot.]
Not a huge deal in this case but it is something that you should generally try to avoid while repotting as some species will not put up with that at all. Or IE in an emergency situation you may not have many feeder roots hanging on so you have to try to keep all of them that you can. :)

joe wrote: you'll notice that I left two of the branches higher than the rest, reason being well, when chopping a branch, you should leave a few leaves on the branch,
That applies to this species Joe, Not all species by any means.
joe wrote: but these well, they don't have any except for the ones at the top. (as far as I can tell, if someone notices otherwise, please point it out Smile ). So I left those two taller, and as soon as they bud a little lower down, I'll chop off the tops. alos, I removed a bunch of wire, because with the shorter branches, I dk there just didn 't seem to be a need. Thoughts?
Sure,

I am going to ask you to think about the process here for a bit. :D.

Ok, Lets see how you feel about where you are, Try to be specific:

Do you feel what you left on the tree will get you to the virts previously posted? [If those are the goal your aiming for]

Meaning:

Does what you have left lay the foundation for what you want?

If not, Why is that so and what do you change to accomplish that?

Your next step will be?

I have a few thoughts on this but I would like to hear what you think about this first.

I would also get a bit of research in on pruning boxwoods as that info will come in handy for you in the months to come.

Just some things to consider to make the most of your recent flurry of activity :D

ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

When I was starting to remove the soil, I wasn't losing too many roots, but when I got into the 'bulk' of the, I'll admit I got a little careless figuring I was going to rootprune anyway. It was difficult, the soild was very damp, it had just puored all day the day before. (I'll try to avoid that in the future, I learn something everytime :) ). overall, I think it's an improvement from the non-maple.

I think that the way I have it is a good foundation, I really don't think I can go chopping too much right now, there aren't that many leaves left on it, maybe a few months (or weeks) form now when I get some good buds going, I'll lower it, but I think the size I have is good, the height of the tree not exceeding what it is now. I'm not sure if this is the right approach to it, but I did a quick virt, and this would essentially be the goal I have in mind
[img]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/joelewko/boxwood019virt.jpg[/img]

so as of now, yes this is a good foundation (to make things short :wink: )

what are your thoughts, I'm curious to know what you're thinking.

I have read some info on boxwoods, and it seems that when you cut a leaf, a new branch comes out, with more leaves. I have to run for now, sorry if I didn't address anything I'll get to it later on
Joe

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

I think that the way I have it is a good foundation, I really don't think I can go chopping too much right now, there aren't that many leaves left on it, maybe a few months (or weeks) form now when I get some good buds going, I'll lower it, but I think the size I have is good, the height of the tree not exceeding what it is now.
Why would you let the tree put its energy into branches and growth that you will not ultimately be keeping? If you are eventualy going to chop it back as far as your virt, why not do that now and spend more time growing in useable branches? Even though there aren't that many leaves left it doesn't mean its going to die and if you don't cut it back now then you may not get the branching that you want. I think there should be plenty of leaves left if you do chop it back.

Try to remember you only bought this for $6 bucks and I can promise you're not going to kill it, these are very tough trees. This is also one of your first trees and I want to get you off to a good start, you'll be much more brave and confident in the future if you take what you feel is a risk right now.

Get back when you can and answer these questions and tell me how you feel about it now. Always remember this is something to do for fun, were only trying to help you have more fun and save you some frustration later on. :D .

Tom

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Thanks for the comments Tom and ynot, you guys have been really helpful. I like it as it stands now, and seeing the virt I did, I think it can turn out to be a very nice bonsai. As for future plans, next year I will probably repot into a shallower pot (hopefully the iced tea bottle helped in getting more lateral roots), and I'll do soem more pruning then, assuming the tree makes it, but I think it'll be ok. As for this year, I'll try to get the foliage to grow as much as I can (I'll put it on a fertilizing schedule in about two months, I think that's long enough to wait), and I'll start developing the canopy as well as hopefully removing that wire by the end of the season, and havign all of the branches where I want them (by chopping the two I left taller for now). Any thoughts on how to actually get the desired shape? I mean I can grwosome thick foliage, but I'll probably have to wire some branches outward a little more, I might actually do that now, or I'll wait for new ones to come in and wire those into place.

Joe

And yes, this is proving to be a lot of fun for me, the initial pruning was an enjoyable few hours. :wink: 8)

ynot
Greener Thumb

JoeLewko wrote:When I was starting to remove the soil, I wasn't losing too many roots, but when I got into the 'bulk' of the, I'll admit I got a little careless figuring I was going to rootprune anyway. It was difficult, the soild was very damp, it had just puored all day the day before. (I'll try to avoid that in the future, I learn something everytime :) ). overall, I think it's an improvement from the non-maple.
An improvement sure, A ways to go certainly :)

A hose can be an effective way to gently spray soil away also.
I think that the way I have it is a good foundation,
OK, But you are skipping parts of the process wrt how you are thinking about this as Toms quote addresses a bit later in this post.
I really don't think I can go chopping too much right now, there aren't that many leaves left on it, maybe a few months (or weeks) form now when I get some good buds going, I'll lower it, but I think the size I have is good, the height of the tree not exceeding what it is now. I'm not sure if this is the right approach to it, but I did a quick virt, and this would essentially be the goal I have in mind.

so as of now, yes this is a good foundation (to make things short :wink: )

what are your thoughts, I'm curious to know what you're thinking.

I have to run for now, sorry if I didn't address anything I'll get to it later on
Joe
?

Sorry, I asked first. Do you wish to learn to fish, Or be handed a fish :P ;)
[Actually, I have changed my mind on this, Slightly:] Ok, The two 'branches' you left taller, Either get rid of them completely or wire it into a broom. [You seem to be sort of broom inclined wrt this tree- Judging from your virt- Correct.?]
When was the last time you saw a tree where the lowest branch exiting the trunk was amongst the highest on the tree?
Tom wrote:
Why would you let the tree put its energy into branches and growth that you will not ultimately be keeping? If you are eventualy going to chop it back as far as your virt, why not do that now and spend more time growing in useable branches?
Even though there aren't that many leaves left it doesn't mean its going to die and if you don't cut it back now then you may not get the branching that you want. I think there should be plenty of leaves left if you do chop it back.
Exactly,

Tom, Addresses a point that you have completely left out of the process Joe:
'Branches', Yes branches. Take all of your talk of a canopy and put it aside as you need some branches first.

[BTW Tom, Don't make promises you can't keep ;) ]

I like it as it stands now, and seeing the virt I did, I think it can turn out to be a very nice bonsai.

The virt has nothing to with it, [Yet, though we are trying to get you there, Besides you also thought it was on the path to being the virt before you rechopped it...] You currently have shoots on a trunk, and too many of them at that. Some additional growth is required there [Yes, it will be taller for a while.]

Your first virt had 5 thick main branches exiting the trunk, Now apparently you find the 7[? is it] skinny shoots exiting the trunk to be an excellent transition into a canopy? Do you see what I am saying?

Your focus so far has glossed right over this point so far.

I have read some info on boxwoods, and it seems that when you cut a leaf, a new branch comes out, with more leaves.
:shock:

Sort of, But some more research would easily clear this up for you

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”