boss
Newly Registered

When to start pruning Chinese wisteria Bonsai

I grew several Chinese Wisteria trees from seed and they are now about a month old. I am currently new to bonsai growing and unsure of when to prune and how to a prune them. Any and all advice is appreciated.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

The only thing you need to do with seedling Wisteria is trim any suckers, stake them up if you want something upright and they're not going in that direction, and top them off when they get too tall to manage. FWIW, it takes about 5-10 years to get flowers out of Wisteria started from seed, just so you're aware of that. Other than the above, the only thing you'll be doing is potting up every spring as they fill the prior year's container OR grow them in ground and harvest when the trunk is the size you need. Harvested plants go in deep pots first to accomodate the root ball, then shallower and shallower at each repot until the root mass is more shallow than the trunk is thick (unless you're going roots-up or ROR). The roots that will be below soil level will need to fit into an appropriately sized pot for the trunk/tree.

boss
Newly Registered

Thanks a lot for the advice and help I really appreciate it. I searched the internet and couldn't find the out what I needed until you helped me out thanks again. If you have any pictures of your Chinese wisteria please post them as I would love to see them.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I don't grow them, just know how to do so. Mainly this is because I don't like the size of the huge chains of flowers. IF I were to do a Chinese or even American Wisteria, I'd want to do it as a 3'+ tree, which kind of, for me, defeats the purpose of putting it in a pot. JMO, though, lots of people love them as bonsai.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”