Pura
Newly Registered

Bonsai from seed - Seed during winter

Okay, hey guys, I'm new here (so sorry if I do anything wrong) but I'm not much of a gardener, so I thought, hey! why not join a gardening forum to ask for help!

So, pretty much what I've done is planted a Kowhai seed and it's grown to about 2cm. But now that it's getting into winter it's going brown and shrivelling a bit, and I'm not sure if it's because it's dying or because it's becoming winter.

And I then plan on growing this seed into a Bonsai tree (hopefully). So I wasn't sure if I should ask this in the seed subforum or the bonsai one, but I figure that I could get help for the seed and the bonsai at the same time.

I'm not really sure when I should have re-planted it (although I already have to make it easier to chase the sunlight around my house, haha).

On the rainy days I have been sticking it under a lamp, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not? Some tips would be a great help.

(Oh the more I read this I think it should be under the seed subforum, haha) Um, how do I make sure it grows into a bonsai and do I have to do anything special? I've read a book and done some internet research, but I'm still a bit confused. I planted this seed around december too. I planted quite a few, but this was the only seed that grew ):

Thanks (:

kdodds
Greener Thumb

First, what a pretty tree. I'm unfamiliar with the species but I see it has and can be used for bonsai. So, pluses there. Minus... well, with exotic trees, unless they're fairly commonly used in gardens and landscapes, you'll find pretty sparse information. Even worse, that information can be conflicting. In the case of Kowhai, I've found recommendations that are ridiculously spread out and can't be reconciled. Some sources have it 9-10, some 9-11, some 8, some 8-9, and some even down to zone 6. So... I don't know what to tell you other than that this is a native tree to your island country. If the seeds were harvested locally (I.e. not a disparate climate), then the tree belongs outside, for sure. Overwintering seeds is not a problem. Overwintering seedlings can be, which is why they should always be started as early as possible. Do the adult trees shed their leaves in winter? If so, hold your breath and wait. If not, it's probably dead or dying, harvest some more seeds and wait for next year. OR, in spring, do a little hunting for adventitious recruits in the area of the parent tree. Older seedlings have already made it through their first winter and will be better adapted to pot life.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I looked your tree up and found this:

Kowhai is another of New Zealand ’s deciduous trees, actually termed hemideciduous. It loses its leaves just prior to flowerin. In August and September the flowers arise from branches naked of leaf. All New Zealanders who live close to nature welcome the kowhai flowers, as they signal the arrival of spring.
The flower of the kowhai is the national flower of New Zealand.
https://www.bushmansfriend.co.nz/sophora-kowhai-xidc17785.html

Kowhai are deciduous trees growing to around 12
metres high
https://www.naw.org.nz/resources/trees/kowhai.pdf

So losing its leaves may well be part of its natural cycle

RE: , how do I make sure it grows into a bonsai and do I have to do anything special?

Nothing grows into a bonsai. Bonsai is the art of shaping, pruning, styling and otherwise maintaining a tree in miniaturised form. But you don't have a tree yet, you have a tiny seedling. Assuming it lives, you have some years before you can do anything but work on keeping it alive, growing, and healthy. In pursuit of which, do think about keeping it outside, if it is a native tree in your area.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

In your spring I think I would repot into fast draining soil. Your seedling is in its home range. It should be fine in partial shade and regular checking for (and watering) as needed.

Does his leaves fold up at night like TX ebony?

Love legumes.

Pura
Newly Registered

Thanks for the help, guys!

All it seems to be doing is turning brown and wilting a little ): We've had a lot of sun for the last few days so I've been making it is in the sun, but it's not getting any greener. Do you think it's not getting enough water? I've been spraying it with a spray bottle, but maybe it's not getting enough?

I would put it outside, but my city is well known for wind and there's definitely not a lack of it, haha. If I put it outside I'd be worried it would blow away. And there's also not many good spots for me to put it at my house.

And with the 'making sure it grows into a bonsai' thing I mean more, at what stage do I start trying to shape it and stuff (and even then I'm not sure how to do that, haha). And yes, I know it will take several years, haha. I would buy a bonsai, but I'm not much of a gardener and I'd be afraid of it dying. So I decided if I grew it from a seed there'd be more of a chance of it not dying (you know, once it gets past the seedling stage). But now it's dying (probably) anyway ):

kdodds
Greener Thumb

My eldest is in Wellington, it's kind of like our Chicago, eh? ;)

As far as how to work with Kowhai as a bonsai, I have to assume you can readily get backbudding? If this is the case, do nothing, just let it grow. If it doesn't back bud well, however, you'll need to treat it more like a spruce or pine.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”