Melinda
Newly Registered

Need HELP - Bonsai without leaves = ded ?

Hi , I have a Bonsai tree I think it is 10 years old. My husband bought it for me, and it was specified the year. Now is 6 months since I got it and all the leaves fall down. What is the matter , could it be dead or just have to wait for new leaves?
I do have bought some food for it, and I do not know what I did wrong.
Please help me, because it is so :( to see my tree without leaves.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's very hard to give you much advice without knowing more information from you, especially what kind of tree it is. Bonsai is not a kind of tree, it is the art of styling and maintaining any of a variety of different trees in miniature form. There are juniper bonsais, elm bonsais, maple bonsais, ficus bonsais, etc etc etc. What is yours?

Pictures would help. Instructions for posting pictures here are in New to Helpful Gardener? under Helpful Tips and Suggestions for New Members.

To find out if it is dead, lightly scratch the bark (like with a fingernail) and see if it is green underneath. If yes, then the plant is still alive.

Have you been keeping it indoors or outdoors? In what conditions? How watered/ fertilized/ what kind of soil, etc....

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It always puzzles me what happens. People write in for help and then just disappear. A ten year old bonsai, presumably expensive, given by her husband and she can't be troubled to give us any information to help her out with. We were supposed to be magic and be able to solve her problems knowing nothing but that it is a "bonsai tree," nothing about what has happened to it how it has been cared for, what kind of tree etc etc?

Well knowing nothing but what we were given and the fact that this is a person who doesn't follow through with things, I'll guess the tree is already dead.

Given that I googled "ten year old bonsai" and almost all the trees that came up were junipers, I could get really speculative and theorize that this was a juniper bonsai, kept indoors, and is dead (although "all the leaves fall down" sort of argues against that, most people wouldn't call what junipers have "leaves" and they wouldn't usually "fall down" just turn brown, so maybe not).

Since we don't have any info to help her with, anyone else want to play the guessing game?

TomM
Greener Thumb

We can only help those who actually want to help themselves - and to receive help in a cooperative way.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Perils of the "Information Age". People can spontaneously seek out half or a dozen forums, join them all, and ask the same question over and over. Because they're not really "serious" about joining these forums and just "want an answer now" (probably because they didn't like what they already read when searching google). Again, when they don't like what they hear, they may never reply back. OR, they might not even remember where they posted, what username and password (or even email) they've used, and so on. The only bonsai trees sold at an age as a type of legitimization tag are mallsai. Reputable dealers can sometimes tell you the age of a tree, but not always, or sometimes in just "abouts".

So, yeah, I can almost guarantee it's a mallsai, but to the species, who knows. Juniper is a good guess, but then so is Fukien Tea, Serissa, or Elm. Doubtless, it's been kept inside, but that looks to be something we'll never have confirmed.

On another note, this being an English speaking forum and the original poster obviously not being a native speaker, perhaps she has found another forum where she can converse comfortably in her native tongue. If so, kudos to her.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”