bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

cut off to much foliage

I was recently defoliating my 10cm juniper tree to be trained, and I may have accidently cut of a bit to much foliage. There is still some left, and if it grows it will be enough, but what should I do to help it survive? It might live on its own, but if there is anything I can do to help, please tell me.

ynot
Greener Thumb

Pictures please! How long have you had this tree?
bonsaiboy wrote:I was recently defoliating my 10cm juniper tree to be trained, and I may have accidently cut of a bit to much foliage.
I am at a bit of a loss here.

[The timing of it being prior to training aside] You were defoliating a Juniper ?

1.] Defoliation is a final refinement technique for deciduous and broadleaf evergreen trees, NOT needle evergreens.

2.] Junipers are pruned by pinching, If you were 'cutting' then you can expect the tips to brown as this is what happens when Juniper foliage is cut.

Here is some more info about defoliation : https://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATdefoliating.htm
bonsaiboy wrote: There is still some left, and if it grows it will be enough, but what should I do to help it survive?
Wait, and wait some more...It is too late to do anything else. Don't feed it, Keep an eye on your watering as with less foliage it has less transpiration.
bonsaiboy wrote: It might live on its own, but if there is anything I can do to help, please tell me.
We need to see pictures in order to discern if you have cause for alarm, All else is guesswork.

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”