alexp

Spring at last!

Hey everyone! Its been a while I know, but my little juniper is doing great! With spring finally here though, I have a couple questions regarding my tree.

1) With the spring rains, should I still be monitoring how much water my tree gets, or should I leave him out on the deck throughout the wet season?

2) When pruning a juniper, how much should I take off at one time, to avoid causing the tree to go into shock? I know exactly the shape I want, its merely a question of now getting it to that point.

Any help would be appreciated!

And happy spring!!!!!

Alex

ynot
Greener Thumb

Alex,

Welcome back.

Good to hear our winter tips were effective 8).

In the interest of continuity perhaps you could post a few new pics into your [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4058&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30]original thread[/url] about this tree, Perhaps a photoshop graphic/edit also about where your going with it...8)
alexp wrote: 1) With the spring rains, should I still be monitoring how much water my tree gets, or should I leave him out on the deck throughout the wet season?
Always, The real question is this: Do you have well draining soil? How moisture retentive your soil is has everything to do with the answer to this question.

Junis do not appreciate being drowned [A continual long term overly wet condition] by any means.
2) When pruning a juniper, how much should I take off at one time, to avoid causing the tree to go into shock? I know exactly the shape I want, its merely a question of now getting it to that point.
One word my man: Pictures, We need pictures. :). This refers to hard pruning.

Best to wait a month after the new growth appears to start pinching [No scissors on the foliage as it causes it to brown], You have to leave enough foliage that the branch will not die back [Presuming it is one your keeping].
And happy spring!!!!!
Right back at you :D

ynot

alexp

yes I know.. I will try and get pics for you this week. My camera is being a bit of a pest though and likes chewing through batteries in 15 minutes.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”