StevenPDX
Newly Registered

Re-potting in May

I was wondering if it is too late to re-pot some of my Bonsai (1st of May). In particular a maple and an azalea. I know the recommendation is to re-pot just before the leaves open , but is it OK to do it after it has leafed out, or should I wait till next year?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

If it's not too much after, and it's not in full growth, you're probably okay. I don't know what it's been like for you, but here, some species still haven't broken bud. If it were me, here, I would not have a problem repotting a maple. Azaleas would be another story. Ours (and Rhodos too) have all bloomed, leafed, and are in full growth right now. Reminds me, I need to take my hedge trimmers to 20' (length) of Rhodos this weekend or next.

djlen
Green Thumb

StevenPDX wrote:I was wondering if it is too late to re-pot some of my Bonsai (1st of May). In particular a maple and an azalea. I know the recommendation is to re-pot just before the leaves open , but is it OK to do it after it has leafed out, or should I wait till next year?
If this is a store bought plant it really depends on how you are going to do this "repot", in the case of the Azalea. Most of them are fine with re-potting after blooming.
Notice that most store bought Azalea are purchased in flower and planted (and can be heavily pruned at that time). As to the re-potting part, I would take only about 1/3 - 1/2 the root ball and not try to put it into a Bonsai container unless it's a deep one until next year or the year after. On the other hand if it's already in a shallow Bonsai pot it would be fine with a 1/3 root trim and pruning after the flowers fall.
I'm very cautious about Azalea although they are very sturdy plants in my experience. Remember, they can be very finicky about too much sun, especially after re-potting.
As to the Maple. I have had issues with some of them where I had to re-pot after leaf-out time and have been lucky, in that I've only lost a few over the years. However I make it a rule with them, not to prune heavily or re-pot except when they are dormant, or just starting to swell.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”