Rib640
Newly Registered

Need Help identifying bonsai

Hello everyone. :D

I recently got a bonsai, but it didn't have any identification, so I was wondering what kind of bonsai this is:

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/Rib640/P3250037.jpg[/img]

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/Rib640/P3250048.jpg[/img]

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/Rib640/P3250033.jpg[/img]

Thanks in advance. :)

ynot
Greener Thumb

Welcome to the forum Rib640,
Rib640 wrote:Hello everyone. :D

I recently got a bonsai, but it didn't have any identification, so I was wondering what kind of bonsai this is:
It is a ficus, Looks to be a benjamina.

Here is a some info on ficus bonsai for you: https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Ficus.html

This page has many helpful articles about bonsai:
https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics.html

I think you will enjoy the ones on Introduction to bonsai, & Starting Out.

A guide to Watering, And an Introduction to Soil Will be especially relevant.

This page: https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm
Has some more in depth articles to peruse also.

I think you may find the information in the soil article mentioned above interesting when you compare it to what appears to be in your pot.

You have quite a bit of info to check out so please do so and let us know any further questions you may have after taking some time to absorb it a bit. :)

ynot

ynot

Rib640
Newly Registered

Thanks!! I'll read those and if I have any questions I'll post them here. Thanks again! :D

ynot
Greener Thumb

Rib640 wrote:Thanks!! I'll read those and if I have any questions I'll post them here. Thanks again! :D
Your welcome, :)

BTW, Also do read the article on Bonsai4me wrt 'Indoor bonsai'. I forgot to mention that.

You may also discover that new soil will [most likely] be required for your tree.

Later,

ynot

Rib640
Newly Registered

Yes, I already read that one. :D

So far, I have some questions:

- What's the purpose of wiring leaves and branches?

- Should I get the bonsai-specific scissors or just use an ordinary one?

- When I need to change the soil that came already with the bonsai, what type of soil should I look for?

By the way, do this species of ficus blossom? :)

ynot
Greener Thumb

Rib640 wrote:Yes, I already read that one. :D

So far, I have some questions:
Ok, And ok :)

These questions are almost certainly answered at the bonsai4me site
- What's the purpose of wiring leaves and branches?
Wiring is one of the ways used to direct the growth. [The leaves are not wired, Just the branches]

- Should I get the bonsai-specific scissors or just use an ordinary one?
Depends on what you intend to cut, A portion of bonsai pruning can be accomplished with normal scissors, Other bits require more sturdy dedicated bonsai tools. The sap of a ficus will not be good for your scissors though.

What were you considering pruning, And why?
- When I need to change the soil that came already with the bonsai, what type of soil should I look for?
It is not as simple as that, Besides I have no idea what is available to you.

After you have read the posted links about soil [Both the previous and the following] and you have a good understanding of what properties are beneficial to bonsai soil we will get further into this.

I forgot to link to these threads also: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3423
By the way, do this species of ficus blossom? :)
If it is as I suspect a benjamina, No

Tell us a bit about your watering habits and where your keeping it please.

ynot

Rib640
Newly Registered

Ok, thanks for those! :D

So, if I want to give a specific shape to the bonsai I can position the branches with wires?
What were you considering pruning, And why?
So far, nothing... I'm going to let it grow a bit so it acclimates, then I'll start giving it shape gradually. :)

Currently it's on a mid-lighted area of the living room... we have curtains, so the sunlight is filtered and the air temperature can get warm.

I just found a book about bonsai and I found this species. According to the book it should stay on a shady area of the room, with temperatures between 18ºC and 25ºC in moisty air. Probably this isnt true, but I was wondering if it's accurate. :)

Thanks for all your help ynot and thanks for the links, I'll check those. :D

ynot
Greener Thumb

Rib640 wrote:Ok, thanks for those! :D
Your welcome.
So, if I want to give a specific shape to the bonsai I can position the branches with wires?
Given time, Certainly but you have much to learn [like how to keep it alive] before you need to worry about that.
That is plenty of time to learn about wiring...
So far, nothing... I'm going to let it grow a bit so it acclimates, then I'll start giving it shape gradually. :)
What shape? It is important to have a plan or an idea of where your going as mistakes can take years to correct, You will be doing yourself a huge favor if you get a hang on having it survive first.
Currently it's on a mid-lighted area of the living room... we have curtains, so the sunlight is filtered and the air temperature can get warm.
What are your current temps outside? This tree would be happier out there [if the temps are suitable] and I cannot emphasize enough that in the middle of your living room there is absolutely not enough light to keep it happy, I don't care how bright it seems to you.

Heres the math: The intensity of light decreases to the square of the distance.

What this means is that if your plant is 10 feet from the window the available energy in the form of light is 64 times less than if it were 2 feet from the window. { 10-2=8, 8 squared=64} And outside would be better yet [again depending on the temps your experiencing]

Humidity is also an issue as a living rooms tend to be between the Gobi and Sahara deserts as far as the % of relative humidity goes- I am not kidding.

This low light , Low humidity environment is not very conducive to a healthy tree.
I just found a book about bonsai and I found this species. According to the book it should stay on a shady area of the room, with temperatures between 18ºC and 25ºC in moisty air. Probably this isnt true, but I was wondering if it's accurate. :)
What book is this?
Moist air=Yes, Shady? = NO,
Those temps listed are it's most comfortable temps but I leave mine outside to 11C [I have gone farther but I will not tempt you ;)] It is native to tropical areas so it will be comfortable with higher temps than those listed also.

Please do address the watering I asked about previously.

ynot

Rib640
Newly Registered

Oops, missed the watering habits... so far I'm only watering it when I see the soil changing to a lighter color or when the soil is starting to get dry. As for the lighting, I don't think that'll be possible, since I live on an appartment... I do have, however, a sunroom. I'm afraid the tempteratures might get too high there though.. Thanks for the other tips also! ;)

ynot
Greener Thumb

Rib640 wrote:Oops, missed the watering habits... so far I'm only watering it when I see the soil changing to a lighter color or when the soil is starting to get dry.

As for the lighting, I don't think that'll be possible, since I live on an appartment... I do have, however, a sunroom. I'm afraid the tempteratures might get too high there though.. Thanks for the other tips also! ;)
Ok, Do insure to check at a bit of depth for dryness [A knuckle or two] - Not just the surface.

What is 'too hot' ? Put the ficus in the sunroom, It will love it.

This is a tropical tree [Thailand-Taiwan-etc...] that is comfortable [And grows best] at temps between 15 and 30C.

That is straight from the species guide I linked to at bonsai4me.

Is it going to be signifigantly hotter than that? It will slow down the growth.

I used to live in the southern US and we had temps reaching over 80F for 8 months of the year and often over 90F nearing 100F in the summer months.

My ficus absolutely thrived in that weather. :)

ynot

ynot

Rib640
Newly Registered

Ok, thanks! I'll put it there! :mrgreen:

ynot
Greener Thumb

Rib640 wrote:Ok, thanks! I'll put it there! :mrgreen:
Your welcome,

Though I repeat:
ynot wrote:What is 'too hot' ?
It is going to very difficult to help you with all the questions you will have later if you do not answer the questions asked of you.... You know what I mean? :)

ynot
Last edited by ynot on Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rib640
Newly Registered

Sorry, I thought that was a rectorical question... Well, it can get as hot as 32/33ºC in summer and the "coldest" temperature is about 10º, but since the sun's always hitting it during the day I don't think it'll be a problem in winter. :)

ynot
Greener Thumb

Rib640 wrote:Sorry, I thought that was a rectorical question... Well, it can get as hot as 32/33ºC in summer and the "coldest" temperature is about 10º, but since the sun's always hitting it during the day I don't think it'll be a problem in winter. :)
lol, I see how you could have taken it that way, Sorry for the confusion. [Now...]

Is 10C including the temperature at night? [During your cold season]

That sounds like a pretty good spot actually. :)

WRT the heat, It is just like anything else and you have to pay attention to how the tree is doing you know.

It will come with time.

ynot

Rib640
Newly Registered

Ok, it's already there. :D So far so good... lol

rjj

I'm not so sure that's a ficus. Bark looks wrong and plant has opposing leaves. Looks more like a privet or something along those lines.

randy

ynot
Greener Thumb

rjj wrote:I'm not so sure that's a ficus. Bark looks wrong and plant has opposing leaves. Looks more like a privet or something along those lines.

randy
:shock: :oops: :shock: :oops: :shock: :oops: :shock:

OMG... I simply cannot believe I missed that...I know better, I promise.

[If I say I was in a hurry...Is that a reason?...Not an excuse mind you.. ;)...]

Randy, You are correct. And Thank You.

Rib, Some of your info needs to be revamped upon further species review...

And my apologies for the 'swing and a miss' on that one..:oops:
ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”