Dom Nizza

Old Gardener Old Bonsais Old Photos

Had this in my "old" file of Bonsai Photos. I understand Bonsais are replicas of "old" trees in a beautiful form. Here is one over 100 years old in a Mall.

[img]https://www.mycommunity.com/uploads/17031_2_Bonsai1Oive.jpg[/img] I understand it's an "Olive". No I didn't start it. :lol:

Edited Title of thread .. thanks.
Last edited by Dom Nizza on Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ynot
Greener Thumb

Dom Nizza wrote: I understand Bonsais are replicas of "old" trees in a beautiful form.
Hey Dom,

Thanks for stopping by the Bonsai forum. :D

I hate to burst your bubble here as that is an amazing tree 8), And Olives do make striking bonsai.

However, This is not a bonsai.

A bonsai is a tree in a pot, Which this is not.

A mall does not count as a pot I am afraid. :P ;)

In fact, "Pot" is half of the word "Bonsai"

Bonsai = Two Japanese words "Bon" 盆 + "Sai" 栽 which means literally "Potted Plant", "Container Planting", Or "Potted Tree" [The translations vary]

It is based on the the older Chinese art on Penjing: "Pen" 盆 + "Jing" 景 which translates as "Tray Scenery".

Kimura would love to work that Olive though I bet. 8) :D

ynot

Dom Nizza

Thanks Ynot... nice to find another gardener with a sense of humor. Rare these days. I think what I what was trying to suggest was that "Bonsai plants in a pot" were Minature replicas of the larger plant. For example this one.

[img]https://www.mycommunity.com/uploads/17031_3_Bonsai2Pine.jpg[/img] This a Pine and difficult to tell how big it is. Is it in a pot or out doors? :roll: ... :roll: ...If it is Outdoors big and majestic then .. reduce your screen size and fit the plant in a pot size of your choice.

Not too much copper wire needed just some careful pruning and care. Thanks good friend. :lol: ... :lol: ...

ynot
Greener Thumb

Dom Nizza wrote:Thanks Ynot... nice to find another gardener with a sense of humor. Rare these days. I think what I what was trying to suggest was that "Bonsai plants in a pot" were Minature replicas of the larger plant.
lol,
Thanks Dom,

True enough that a successful bonsai is representative of a idealized tree in nature :D.

It is all about the illusion you know.

Making a small tree appear ancient and massive, Ravaged by nature and barely surviving. [Or spreading luxuriously in a meadow.]

To all appearances untouched by the hand of man, Yet it is all by design.

Smoke and Mirrors man, Smoke and Mirrors 8).

John Naka said wrt styling 'Do not try to make your tree look like a bonsai, Make your bonsai look like a tree'.

Some of them are not small at all though. As they get bigger they are referred to by how many men it takes to carry them: 4 man, 6 man, etc...There are some B - I - G bonsai out there...

Lets not forget the group plantings, For example this one:

[img]https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/novusordo1/Inspiring%20Bonsai/foret2.jpg[/img]

The slab this is on is 6 meters long.... A Big bonsai indeed! :D
This a Pine and difficult to tell how big it is. Is it in a pot or out doors? :roll: ... :roll: ...If it is Outdoors big and majestic then .. reduce your screen size and fit the plant in a pot size of your choice.
I agree that a when seeing a photo of a well executed bonsai it is often difficult to determine the size without a reference for scale.

A lot of root work to be done on that one you posted :P ;):lol:.

Later on,

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”