Gandalph

Par boiled Rice Husks/Hulls

I've practically given up trying to find usable pine/fir bark for use in my soil mix, but did find par boiled rice husks in a usable form.

I hear they don't break down as quickly as pine bark but do have excellent water retention characteristics.

Here is a breakdown:

PBH (Parboiled Rice Hulls)

‣ PBH Nature’s Media Amendment is the number-one choice for sustainable plant production
‣ This uniquely-processed rice hull amendment is a readily-renewable resource requiring no mining or land disruption to produce
‣ As so many growers have learned, it is a perfect replacement for perlite in the growing media, providing a less dusty mixing environment
‣ As any organic media, there is decomposition over a long period of time, yet PBH remains stable during the typical growing plant production cycle
‣ PBH Nature’s Media Amendment is OMRI listed and WSDA registered for organic production
‣ PBH is extremely lightweight and highly compressed when packaged in a choice of standard or bulk bale
‣ PBH generates less waste and reduces storage requirements, handling and freight.
‣ Its physical size, shape and bulking properties produce optimum air-filled pore space, water-holding capacity and drainage, while its natural color blends with other media components
‣ Uniquely processed to ensure purity, PBH is sized, cleaned and subjected to a series of heat treatments that collectively sterilize the rice hulls and render any residual rice kernels, weed seeds or disease pathogens non-viable
‣ Greenhouse-proven PBH offers environmental, horticultural and economical advantage

Anyone have any experience with them?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Cool, where do you get them?

Gandalph

rainbowgardener wrote:Cool, where do you get them?
Place called Hummerts International located in Missouri and Kansas.

They do provide shipping

https://www.hummert.com/Default.aspx

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”