linlaoboo
Green Thumb

Schefflera from Home Depot

Just got it from Home Depot and I'm waiting a week or 2 before I mess with it. My question is I've seen a video from Dallas Bonsai that they can be cut down and defoliated to make it branch.

Is it safe for me in zone 6a/6b and where do I leave the defoliated plant afterwards? Indoor/outdoor? To start new plants with cuttings in water or directly in soil? Thanks a bunch!

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I've had the most luck starting Scheffs right in a glass of water. Without a picture of the tree, I couldn't say whether defoliating would be worth it or not at this point.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

will shoot a picture later.

I saw a youtube video and this guy from Dallas bonsai stated defoliating it will make it branch and help turn the stem woody.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Yes, it will help it branch, but this may not be what you want to do just yet. A scheff trunk needs to be pretty thick to balance against the leaves. And, IME, once you defoliate, the tree's done for that year. Pruning new growth after a defoliation isn't always well tolerated. Essentially, this means that your trunk will be a year behind. It will not fatten up well while it's throwing new branches. As far as Scheffs "barking", the only solution I've found that it is exactly the opposite, time and unrestrained growth.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

I should mention in that video he also chops all the stems down with the defoliation. Here is the plant with about 7 stems. The tallest stem is about 2.5 ft tall from the soil.
[img]https://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/malagabee/IMG01017-20120423-1923.jpg[/img]

Most trunks are not woody as expected. They're about 1/2 inch half way up from the soil.
[img]https://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/malagabee/IMG01018-20120423-1924.jpg[/img]

The semi-woody part at the soil line is about 2/3 inch thick.
[img]https://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/malagabee/IMG01019-20120423-1925.jpg[/img]

Being that I'm thinking of making this into a multi trunked bayan style bonsai. I wouldn't mind it if each of the trunks isn't thinck by themselfs but they've got to go woody to help with training process.

SvetSad

I have a scheff cutting that's been growing happily for close to a year, and not long ago, I cut off all the leaves. Right away 3 leaves came back within a week, then it didn't grow for a week and in the last 2 weeks it sprouted 7 new leaves.

I bought a plant similar to ur's at a box store, and did some serious chopping to it, including defoliation. With good light, and proper watering it started to form branches (leaf clusters) quickly, but then I left it outside, and it got a bit too cold for it, so now it's struggling. but I have LOTS of rooting cuttings from it, that I will be planting when it warms up more.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Like SvetSad, I would separate the "trunks" and chop them down and plant them individually, rooting any cutting. If there are any low stems coming from any of the trunks, I'd leave them as sacrificials. You might want to try ROR with a few of the mains, if the roots are young enough.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

Thanks so much for all your inputs :D

I've seen some pictures on the internet of projects on the Schefflera and they're inspiring.

I'm still wondering if the "dwarf Schefflera" that fukubonsai carries is any smaller than the ones carried by the big box stores because it'll affect how well the leaf sizes can be minimized in the future . . .

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Yes, dwarf Scheffs have smaller leaves. BUT that depends on what you're comparing since big box stores carry the really large leaved species, as well as the more familiar S. arboricola.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

:lol:

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”